New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Mac won't start up

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Toasty

Toasty is on a distinguished road

Hi there. Can you help please?

My mac won't start. A safe start up brings this message up:

Error adding driver 'System\Library\Extensions\'IONetworkingFamily.kex t\Contents\Plugins\nvenet.kext\ContentsMacOS\'

Reinstalling from disk fails - I get an error message prompting to reinstall every time.

Any ideas.

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

What Mac? Year, model? Version of OS X it's running? Help us to help you.
QUOTE Thanks
Toasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
What Mac? Year, model? Version of OS X it's running? Help us to help you.
Doh! Here you go...

MacBook2,1
Model No A1181
Late 2006

Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GHz
Dual-Core

OS - Snow Leopard - Version 10.6.8

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

OK, thanks for posting back specs. I just looked up the kernel extension that gave you the error.

This is what I found:

nvenet.kext = Nvidia ethernet, has to do with ethernet on MCP73/MCP79 systems.

Are you attached to a network in any way? And when did the MacBook refuse to start? In other words, was it working OK and then suddenly refused to start or did it do that after you installed or changed something?

Also, it should start up from disk if you're using the correct disk and the optical drive is OK.
QUOTE Thanks
Toasty

Apologies for the length of this...

I'm not attached to a network. The problem occurred after I had to buy a second hand mac, as the mother board went on my original one. I bought a like for like model and replaced the hardrive in the second mac with my original one. Everything worked perfectly for about a month, then I started to get problems starting up. I performed a couple of reinstalls from disk over the space of about 2 weeks because it had trouble starting up a couple of times. At one stage I ran a disk repair and it fixed a problem I don't have a record of. Finally I tried to reinstall from disk and it repeatedly returned an error message and failed the reinstall. I tried this with the Snow Leopard disk that was mine from the original mac and the one supplied with the second hand mac I bought.

Incidentally the hard drive from the second hand mac is working fine. I'm using it right now.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I am wondering if the hard drive from your other Macbook is having issue thus the hard drive from newer MB working fine.

With the old drive in the machine boot from the OSX DVD and open Disk Utility. Check the SMART status at the bottom of Disk Utility for that drive.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apples power adapters | Plextor PX-880U »