New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

my book studio not spinning up

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JaceGannon

JaceGannon is on a distinguished road

My external HDD formatted for os x stopped spinning up the other day and before I start thinking about platter swapping, or something else that has the equal potential for complete failure, I was hoping that someone could give me some different ideas to try and retrieve the data on the drive.

I took out the drive and put it in an external enclosure that I have used for several other drives with issues but got no response. The enclosure is getting adequate power, however, drive does not spin up.

Drive is western digital caviar green 1 TB.

I do not want to give up on this drive, the data is business critical. Please help
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

If the drive refuses to spin up there's not much you can do. Data Recovery software won't work if the drive is dead. The only possibility of getting at the data on the drive is to use a data recovery service. You need to decide how critical the data is and how much you're willing to spend to recover it.

But first I would give WD a call and see what they can do for you if the drive is still under warranty. Sometimes the electronics on a drive dies but the data is intact. It may be possible to repair the drive or swap the board on the drive and recover the data. WD may do it for you. Won't hurt to ask them.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Canon MX 330 S/W Won't Open Properly | MY 160GB LaCie »