Question Help ..Mac Pro First Gen. Logic Board
    So i troubleshooted my mac and came to the conclusion that my logic board doesnt work anymore. ( it was a good run 6 years ) my friend just told me that they dont make the logic board for the first gen anymore. i have quad.core . i was wondering , where do i go from here. i dont want to buy a Refurbished logic board cause it only comes with 90 day warrantty.

can i use the newer gen. mac pro logic board with my first gen quad core processor?

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Are you absolutely sure the logic board is bad?

At this point I'm of course not sure what the problem is (since you didn't say)...and what sort of testing/troubleshooting you have done so far. But if you're REALLY sure it is the logic board...what sort of prices are you seeing for a replacement logic board?

The reason why I ask is...first gen. Mac Pros are selling for around $500-$600 on e-Bay. So if the replacement logic board is close to that (or even half of that)...maybe just purchasing another exact unit would be a better choice.

Of course you could apply the same $$$ towards something newer if that works as well.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    Imac 27", 3.3GHz, 512 flash storage, 16GB memory, macOS Sierra.
    What makes you think it is the mobo and not say the Power Supply or Graphics Card or hard drive? You can still purchase them new. Not cheap however:-

661-3919 Apple Mac Pro Desktop Intel Xeon Logic Board

Might pick a used one up much cheaper on eBay etc. Here is one to get you started:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/APPLE-MAC-...-/160679608295
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Are you absolutely sure the logic board is bad?

At this point I'm of course not sure what the problem is (since you didn't say)...and what sort of testing/troubleshooting you have done so far. But if you're REALLY sure it is the logic board...what sort of prices are you seeing for a replacement logic board?

The reason why I ask is...first gen. Mac Pros are selling for around $500-$600 on e-Bay. So if the replacement logic board is close to that (or even half of that)...maybe just purchasing another exact unit would be a better choice.

Of course you could apply the same $$$ towards something newer if that works as well.

- Nick
    before i posted a thread here i posted this.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-...ml#post1354869

thanks, if it is the logic board then i think this would be a great time to upgrade .

Specs:
    And what dud you mean about the Mac Pro graphics card? Cards must be manufactured as Mac Pro or flashed PC cards. PC cards will not work natively. Some graphics cards have no cables to the mobo, some have one and the more upmarket later model cards have two such cables.

Suggestion was to check the cables out. Fair bit of heat in there can make them brittle and liable to fail.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    And what dud you mean about the Mac Pro graphics card? Cards must be manufactured as Mac Pro or flashed PC cards. PC cards will not work natively. Some graphics cards have no cables to the mobo, some have one and the more upmarket later model cards have two such cables.

Suggestion was to check the cables out. Fair bit of heat in there can make them brittle and liable to fail.
    I took out my pci express card and put I in my friends pc computer which is also running pci express and the video card is working fine..

Quick question.. On a pc computer does
    The videos card start workin right away or does it stat working when it true to load the os?

Specs:
    No answer it should not unless it is a very very rare PC/Mac compatible card. Graphics should commence within five seconds of booting.

Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    No answer it should not unless it is a very very rare PC/Mac compatible card. Graphics should commence within five seconds of booting.
    took my graphics card and up it in my friends pc (hes running pci-e same as my card) and the graphics card worked. i replaced the mother board to find that on the old one the cpu slot was not working. but even with the new board.. nothing.. same problem.

Thread Information