New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Limiting Time Machine Backup Size

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JTLee9153

JTLee9153 is on a distinguished road

Hello all,

I am currently using a 2TB TC to back up my MBP and store other files, but I feel as if the backups are taking too much room (+700GB). Is it possible to limit the size of these backup files, or should I just start backing up on a separate external HD connected to the TC? I would prefer having my backups on the TC...
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

That depends on what you wish to backup. I like to backup everything including any VMs that I have running. Some folks only backup data such as documents, photos, music, etc. It depends on what you can live with.

Otherwise keep your TM backup separate from your other usage. In other words, have another external drive handy.
QUOTE Thanks
Arbo

Arbo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5" i5 iMac - Lion

I don't know what a TC or MBP is (new to macs). But I picked up a 2T external today, and just partitioned it in half, so is used for time machine, the other to store away files. I figured from what I heard time machine would keep going until it filled a space, so I just limited it's 'space'.
QUOTE Thanks
Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Imac 21.5 2011 Stock with Time Capsule. Ipad2 Colecovision

My time machines works too hard. A backup every 1hr. He needs a vacation
I wish we could switch it to 1 or 2 backups a day.

Newbie of the year 2011
QUOTE Thanks
Arbo

Yeah, if there is a way to set it to less than every hour, I have missed that bit. I would like to, as that is far too often.
QUOTE Thanks
Arbo

I found the following information regarding this issue.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

Quote:
It is possible to easily change the interval via the Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app)

Enter this code (where nnnn is your desired interval, in seconds)
sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.backupd-auto StartInterval -int nnnn

You will be prompted for a password. Enter your password, hit return, and restart time machine (just turn it on and off). That should do it.

To reset it, do that command using the number 3600.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Rider View Post
My time machines works too hard. A backup every 1hr. He needs a vacation
I wish we could switch it to 1 or 2 backups a day.
Time Machine Scheduler: LINK By the way, it's free.
QUOTE Thanks
Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Imac 21.5 2011 Stock with Time Capsule. Ipad2 Colecovision

Thanks Chscag I will check that out!

Newbie of the year 2011
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Airport Exteme + Airport express connectivity | Pen Drive has become 'read only' »