New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Is it possible to improve the processor in my Macbook (White)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Highland28

Highland28 is on a distinguished road

I am currently running the original core 2 duo processor and was simply wondering if it is possible or worth improving this and running a i3 or i5 processor? Or is it too complicated and not really worth doing?
Many thanks
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Nope, you cannot, its soldered into the motherboard

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
Highland28

That makes my life really easy thanks
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

You could however bump the ram up which will usually show a performance improvement.
QUOTE Thanks
Highland28

Yeh, I have got new RAM on the way (doubling it) and will shortly be updating the software too, still running 10.5.8 so thinking of getting lion on it and see how it runs. What are peoples opinions on lion or should i just go with snow leopard? Heard mixed things about lion.
Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

In my experience, Lion will likely be slower than anything (although more RAM may offset this a bit). How fast is your processor and how much RAM will you have?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Highland28

I have a 2.13Ghz processor and will be running 4 gig of ram. My laptop is running really pretty slow at the moment hence the upgrade. Would love to run Lion and get iCloud to work with my iPhone but if it is going to slow the laptop down more i mightn't bother.
QUOTE Thanks
circa_bc

circa_bc is on a distinguished road

Id Do ram, and if its in the budget a SSD. Really all you can do.

Macbook Pro (A1278) 2.53 ghz w/ 4gig Ram, 320 gig HD
Mac Mini (A1283) 2.52 ghz / w 4 gig ram, 120 gig SSD, LaCie 2TB D2-Quad (x2)

Mac Pro (A1289) 2x2.26 Quad-Core Xeon w/12gig ram, 1TB (x2)
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

I run Lion on a 2.1 C2D with 4GB of RAM and it runs perfectly fine. It's a touch slower than Snow Leopard but alas, 'tis the cost of keeping up with older hardware.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

One other thing you did not state size and how full your HD is and as a general rule
IMHO without 15 to 20% free space preferably the latter things start to get real slow.
QUOTE Thanks
Highland28

I only have 33Gb of HD space left from 250GB which may be the result of it going a bit slower. I have everything i need backed up to and external HD. Is it possible to remove everything from the HD or would it be better upgrading that as well?

Thanks for all the help
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

33 GB free is still in the comfort zone and is plenty of free space. When it gets down below 15 gig then consider a clean up or a hard disk upgrade

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
Highland28

Excellent cheers, looking forward to getting it running a little quicker again. Will see how i get on with snow leopard before upgrading to lion to begin with i reckon.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« External drive shared with airport extreme as timemachine | CD ejecting problems »