New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Iomega Drive Not Seen

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

suzuki101

suzuki101 is on a distinguished road

Hi, I have an iomega ultramax 500 external dive which was working just fine yesterday morning but now is not mounting to my mac, I have an imac and am running osx 10.7.2, I have tried moving the cables around and a usb cable no difference is made, on the system information under fire it shows an unknown device which must be the drive as it's the only thing connected, the drive has my time machine back up on as well as some non backed up photos and other documents, I am not technically minded an am a complete loss and any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

J.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Hard drives can die suddenly without warning and the same applies whether it's an internal or external model. The electronics on the drive may have failed and now it won't mount.

If the data on the drive is important, you can try data recovery software. If that doesn't work, you may be able to remove the drive from the iOmega case and mount it in an external carrier or with an adapter and get at your data that way. However, there is no guaranty that it will work.
QUOTE Thanks
suzuki101

I'm hoping that's the worst case scenario:-0
QUOTE Thanks
I Will I

I Will I is on a distinguished road

If it truly has failed, externally mounting it is the way to go. If you are just going to miss time machine backups count yourself lucky. I had a WD drive in a previous imac fail and was only able to download files in 10 min intervals with 1hr resting periods between but was able to save all my project data, well worth the labor if the data is dire.
QUOTE Thanks
Ttaylor394

Ttaylor394 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '10 21.5iMac self update-1TB 16GB-'12 MBP13 self update 1TB 16gb-32GB&16gb iphones-32GB iPad,

#1 go to fix all question coming at you...

did you restart your Mac?

heres number 2

is the hard drives power chord plugged in?

good luck

21.5"iMac i3 3.06:running 10.7  500GB HD  16GB DDR3  Magic Trackpad  Black iPhone4 32GB  White iPhone4 16GB  Apple Extreme Airport Base Station 
QUOTE Thanks
suzuki101

Hi, I have restarted the machine, checked power, cables etc (replaced firewire cable) and also done a RAM reset thingy, all to no avail, looks like external mounting is going to be the way to go, all I need do now is figure out how to do it!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Be careful removing it from the original iOmega case. It should be mounted to an adapter connector inside which is part of the case itself. If you can get the case part way off you should be able to move the drive away from the connector.

Also take note of which interface it's using. It should be SATA but make sure before you buy an external carrier.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Intel iMac won't recognize new 1.5TB external hard drive | Run an OS through an external hard drive? »