New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Webcams for Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ArtierSquare

ArtierSquare is on a distinguished road

I've had a look through previous threads for webcams and the results are little more than disappointing... No ones fault on here, but it seems that there are few good recommendations...

Is this still the case?
Are there so few good mac compatible webcams, or are they just not a popular addition?

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Webcam options for Mac's have always been a "rare" item when it came to choices. Apple used to sell the "iSight" webcam years ago:

...but it's been discontinued for years. You can still find them on e-Bay. They are a little different...in that they use a firewire connection instead of USB.

My theory why Apple no longer sells a webcam, is the vast majority of Apples computer sales are iMac's and notebook computers (and they already come with a built-in webcam...for the models from the last 5 years or so). Only Mac Pro's and Mac-Mini's would be a computer model Apple sells that would need a webcam.

One pretty decent webcam out there is the Logitech C910 (I bought 2 as Christmas presents this year):

Logitech - HD Pro Webcam C910

The prices on them can vary a lot...I got mine at Sam's Club for $49.99 each.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
ArtierSquare

Thanks,
I've had a look at one of these Apple cameras on Ebay since you posted this and they look cool though they only give a small display...
On the other hand the Logitech one does get some excellent reviews... had you not mentioned it, I might have passed it over as many of the retailers in the UK don't highlight that these are Mac compatible

Ok, thanks, it's given me a good place to start.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtierSquare View Post
Thanks,
I've had a look at one of these Apple cameras on Ebay since you posted this and they look cool through they only give a small display...
For what folks are trying to get ($$$/) for the older Apple iSight webcam on e-Bay...might as well get something new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtierSquare View Post
On the other hand the Logitech one does get some excellent reviews... had you not mentioned it, I might have passed it over as many of the retailers in the UK don't highlight that these are Mac compatible.
Yeah...some retailer websites don't give enough info sometimes. I've learned over the years with Mac's...best to go to the manufacturer's website first...to check the specs & compatibility before buying.

Good luck,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
bboggess

bboggess has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: late 2011 mac Mini, 2.3 GHz core i5, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Mountain Lion 10.8.4, Retina display iPad

I researched this for a couple of months and decided to add the Logitech - HD Pro Webcam C910 as noted above to a new Mac Mini. It works flawlessly with all of the various chat and video programs. No regrets on my end.

Bill
QUOTE Thanks
pannix

pannix is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 Mac mini, 2007 Macbook, iPod Classic, iPod Touch 2nd generation, iPad 1

I recently bought a new Mac mini and now I want a webcam. As I don't use a webcam that much the C910 mentioned before is over budget.
Does anyone have any experience with the Logitech HD webcams C270 or C310?
Will be used with Skype & Google for starters.
QUOTE Thanks
moxis

moxis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannix View Post
I recently bought a new Mac mini and now I want a webcam. As I don't use a webcam that much the C910 mentioned before is over budget.
Does anyone have any experience with the Logitech HD webcams C270 or C310?
Will be used with Skype & Google for starters.
I bought a C270 (you can see my thread Telecine in video section) and is not even detected (iMac 21,5 osx 10.6.8), Logitech support confirmed that model has no support for mac.
Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

This link might help someone: Mac Compatible Webcam List: Best Web Cameras For Apple OSX

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
QUOTE Thanks
ArtierSquare

So just to update and thank everyone who has contributed, I plumbed for the Logitech 910 today... what an awesome piece of kit. I've connected it via a usb hub so as not to use up all the usb's on my Mac mini - it works faultlessly...
Now I don't wish to start a war on Mac v Pc's but I have serious doubts if I would be saying the same thing on a PC forum!

QUOTE Thanks
pannix

pannix is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 Mac mini, 2007 Macbook, iPod Classic, iPod Touch 2nd generation, iPad 1

Just to let you know. I bought a Logitech HD C310 webcam. Works out of the box with my Mac Mini (Lion). Just plug and play: Photo Booth, Skype and Google Chat.
Haven't tried recording with it, iMovie does not detect USB webcams. As far as quality goes, looks good in bad light conditions ... at least good enough for chat. Microphone works too, haven't used it during an actual chat though.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Formatting WD Elements Hard Drive - Problem With Disk Utility 'Partitioning'. | Which MacBook Pro to run Design Business? »