New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

External drive shared with airport extreme as timemachine

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

GeneralChosn

GeneralChosn is on a distinguished road

Hi !!

I bought an 2TB external HD today and i plugged it in to my Airport Extreme.

I want it to be my "time capsule" and shared exter HD

I tried to configure my time machine but it won't let me chose the external HD as time capsule. i only have an instal for windows for the HD so i can't get it together, i can't take a backup !!

WHO CAN HELP ME PLS???
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

How is the drive formatted? I am using an external drive attached to a Time Capsule for my Time machine backups. I think it is expecting the drive to be formatted as HFS+

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Yep, won't work if not HFS+

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
GeneralChosn

its formatted FAT 32, the thing is its hooked on to my airport express and i can't change it unless i hook it up to my iMac .... i'll check it out
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralChosn View Post
its formatted FAT 32, the thing is its hooked on to my airport express and i can't change it unless i hook it up to my iMac .... i'll check it out
The Airport Express can not share drives, the Airport Extreme can. I do not believe you can utilize FAT32 at all for time machine backups

mike
QUOTE Thanks
GeneralChosn

i have an extreme but i just can see the drive put stuff on it but can't format it over the extreme and can't use it as time machine

so i have to format a part of the disk as HFS+ and then i should be able to see and select it??
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

In timemachine? Yep. I have an external drive (attached to an Airport Extreme) formatted in both FAT32 and HFS+, the HFS+ partitions are available for timemachine.

mike
QUOTE Thanks
Seastud

Seastud is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Blackbook. 2.4 Duo 4gb Ram 250gb HD . Ipod, Ipod shuffle.

This link will take you through the steps to share and external HD on an Airport extreme.
Things You Must Know to When Connecting a USB Hard Drive to AirPort Extreme
QUOTE Thanks
ofdw

ofdw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seastud View Post
This link will take you through the steps to share and external HD on an Airport extreme.
Things You Must Know to When Connecting a USB Hard Drive to AirPort Extreme
Yes: I was having the same problem, and the same sense of dismay on reading in the help pages that Time Machine is not "supposed" to be able to back up to an external drive via Airport Extreme. Then someone sent me this very link, and it's now working fine.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to play xbox 360 games on iMac | Is it possible to improve the processor in my Macbook (White) »