New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Airport Extreme and infuriating USB-disc connection

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rogerinlondon

rogerinlondon will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacPro 2,66GHz 10GB RAM NV 8800GT Cinema 30" * MBP 15" Glossy 2.33 GHz 2 Duo 3GB RAM 160GB HD

So I have a Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex portable (1TB) and one Seagate FeeAgent GoFlex desk (3TB). I want to use the larger disc for movies with a Mac-partition and a FAT32-partition, but when I connect it to my Airport Extreme, only the Mac-partition shows up.

I have created a FAT32-partition in exactly the same way on the smaller disc as well and that shows up fine! How can that be?

The only real difference is that the larger disc is powered and the smaller is not, but surely that can not make any difference? Anyone come across this?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

I think you hit on why the 1 TB doesn't show up. It may not be getting enough USB current for it to spin up. Since the 3 TB is self powered that's not a problem.
QUOTE Thanks
rogerinlondon

Mac Specs: MacPro 2,66GHz 10GB RAM NV 8800GT Cinema 30" * MBP 15" Glossy 2.33 GHz 2 Duo 3GB RAM 160GB HD

Yeah, but unfortunately it is the other way around. It is on the powered 3TB disc that the FAT32-partition is not showing up.....
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

How big are the partitions you have created?

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Sorry, but I read through your original post too quickly. I seem to remember reading somewhere about creating/using FAT-32 partitions on drives larger than 1 or 2 TB, that there was a problem with OS X being able to read them.

I'll try to dig around and see if I can find that article and get back to you.
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

Actually, why do you need a Mac and a FAT-32 partition?

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Air 2 128 GB LTE, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
rogerinlondon

I need it to watch movies on my TV that can only read FAT32. I would save down the movies on the Mac-partition, copy to FAT32 what I might want to watch on the TV, pull the disc out of the dock connected to the Airport extreme and slot it in to the dock I have connected to the TV and watch. I thought it would work out quite neatly like that....

The FAT32 partitions are just over 200GB on both disc and they both read fine when connected directly to the Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

For the APEx to use a drive, it has to format it to Mac, which is why you only see the Mac partition from over the network.

Before adding too many things, what are the odds that you can get an Apple TV 2 ($99) and just use AirPlay streaming to the TV?

QUOTE Thanks
rogerinlondon

Thanks, but you can actually (or at least in most cases....) connect an external disc to an Airport Extreme and use a FAT32-partition with it.

As regards the AppleTV, I thought you could not stream any movie saved on a hard drive, but that it would only work through iTunes. Is that not correct?
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

If you are moving things around, including HDs, why not keep the large one as 1 big partition and use it for the storage drive connected to the APEx, and use the smaller one as a Fat32 drive and copy the movies you want to watch onto it via the computer with the small drive hooked up to the computer for the copy? You are manually transferring and moving the hardware anyway.

I have a ton of movies and shows in my iTunes library and stream to my ATV2 all the time. Never had a problem. And my iTunes library is on a 4TB HD attached to my APEx.

QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerinlondon View Post
Thanks, but you can actually (or at least in most cases....) connect an external disc to an Airport Extreme and use a FAT32-partition with it.
Ah, but how many partitions? As far as I know, you can only use 1 partition with the APEx. I cannot view mine from here to verify.

QUOTE Thanks
rogerinlondon

As I mentioned in my first post, my Seagate Portable 1TB has two partitions with one FAT32 and they both show up fine when connected to the Airport Express.

The reason I wanted to use the 3TB is that I can easily swap it between the docking stations without having to fiddle around with cables when I connect it to the TV and the Airport Express respectively.

Anyway, thanks for the tip about the AppleTV, I might take a closer look at that possibility
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« NEed help reformating drive | Verizon G4 MIFI and IMAC G5 »