New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

need help with monitor

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

charisma

charisma is on a distinguished road

i hope someone can help me. i have the white macbook 6.1 laptop. i just purchased a mini displayport to DVI adapter. so i can hook up my dvi monitor. i'm having problems seting it up in the preferences. can some one help me?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Maybe you could "expand" on what the specific setup issues are...this way the suggestions you get can be specific to the problem?

Thanks,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
charisma

I have hooked up a Mini displayport to DVI adapter to my macbook. when i click on detect displays. it does not see it. i know when i use a VGA monitor one time, everything work perfect. is there another setting i have to adjust?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by charisma View Post
I have hooked up a Mini displayport to DVI adapter to my macbook. when i click on detect displays. it does not see it. i know when i use a VGA monitor one time, everything work perfect. is there another setting i have to adjust?
- Have you tried restarting your computer...after...connecting the monitor?
- Did you press the power button to turn on the monitor?
- Do you have the monitors power cord plugged in?

I know some of these possibilities/suggestions sound "silly" to even mention...but ya never know!

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
charisma

yup, been there done it
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Hooking up an external monitor to a Mac laptop is usually VERY easy.

- What exactly are you seeing on this external monitor when it is connected to your laptop?
- Are you 100% sure this monitor is functional?

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
charisma

yes, the monitor has DVI and VGA port. the VGA side is hooked up to my pc. but it's turned off right now. i use to run VGA on the mac.
QUOTE Thanks
charisma

I made an interesting disvovery. My monitor is VGA and DVI. on my PC I can run VGA or DVI, not a problem. But on my MAC I can only run VGA. DVI does not work on my MAC. Does anyone have any thoughts why this would happen?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
yes, the monitor has DVI and VGA port. the VGA side is hooked up to my pc. but it's turned off right now. i use to run VGA on the mac.
I'm a bit confused. Are you saying that this monitor is simultaneously plugged into your Windows computer via VGA...and your Mac via DVI? If so...this could be a problem. Remove all cables going to your Windows computer...and ONLY have the DVI cable going from the Mac to the external monitor.

Do you have two video adapters for your Mac (a mini-displayport to VGA...and a mini-displayport to DVI)?

Another thought is (since your Mac works with the VGA adapter)...maybe the mini-displayport to DVI adapter is "bad" (not working).

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
charisma

Oh no But I have the choice of VGA or DVI
QUOTE Thanks
charisma

I have a external monitor and it has VGA and DVI ports on the back. I can hook up vga port to my macbook 6.1 but DVI does not work. I know DVI works because i tryied it on other computers, What could be the problem? HELP PLEASE
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

No need to post multipole threads for the same topic. Thanks.

Back to your question. I posted some ideas/questions earlier (post #9)...but you did not respond to everything I suggested...so hard to know exactly where things stand.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
charisma

The adapter I purchased is good, I tried it on my PC and it works fine. It's almost like my MAC will not recognize DVI adapters.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
The adapter I purchased is good, I tried it on my PC and it works fine. It's almost like my MAC will not recognize DVI adapters.
Just so I'm 100% understanding things...you said that this external monitor works when you use it via VGA...and not DVI.

Do you have BOTH a mini-displayport to VGA adapter...AND...a mini-displayport to DVI adapter for your Macintosh? And if so...did you test both adapters with your Mac and this external monitor?

Also...you said that the mini-displayport to DVI adapter works on your Windows/PC computer. Does your Windows/PC computer have a mini-displayport video port? I think that this is fairly uncommon on Windows computers.

Thanks,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Louis4444

Louis4444 is on a distinguished road

I have a ViewSonic Monitor, and on the back I can hook up two cables if I want. One VGA and one DVI. My PC has a video card that has both. I tryed them both and I know the Monitor it's self is fine. My VGA adapter works fine on the MAC. The DVI adapter is the second one I purchased. and does not work on my MAC. Is it posable that the DVI part in my MAC is not working?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Mini sound working through HDMI, not anymore | WD My Book external drive help »