New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Data recovery on MAC HDD?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mikehende

mikehende is on a distinguished road

Hey guys, I am not familiar with MAC's, I am a pc tech, friend of mine asked me to recover data from his hdd, my research on the net on this shows:

You see the only difference between a "Mac hard drive" and a "Windows PC hard drive" is the file system. A "Mac hard drive" is formatted using HFS or HFS+ while a "Windows PC hard drive" is either FAT or NTFS. The physical hard drive, the actual hardware, is the exact same and will work on a Mac and Windows PC both. A "Mac hard drive" will work just fine on a Windows PC (after a little work).

but's it's those words in bold that I am questioning, normally I would attach a HDD to my main pc as a slave and access the drive's info then copy it to my unit's drive, can I do the same with the MAC drive too please?
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehende View Post
Hey guys, I am not familiar with MAC's, I am a pc tech, friend of mine asked me to recover data from his hdd, my research on the net on this shows:

You see the only difference between a "Mac hard drive" and a "Windows PC hard drive" is the file system. A "Mac hard drive" is formatted using HFS or HFS+ while a "Windows PC hard drive" is either FAT or NTFS. The physical hard drive, the actual hardware, is the exact same and will work on a Mac and Windows PC both. A "Mac hard drive" will work just fine on a Windows PC (after a little work).

but's it's those words in bold that I am questioning, normally I would attach a HDD to my main pc as a slave and access the drive's info then copy it to my unit's drive, can I do the same with the MAC drive too please?
You can, but you need a driver to enable your PC to read/write the Mac HDD. If you do a Forum search you will probably find reference to one. I remember seeing a reccomendation recently but my brain hasn't absorbed my coffee yet and I no longer use any Windows machines at home so haven't needed the software.
If I remember or find it I will post back the name.

EDIT: Found it. This is the package that some of our members reccomend.

http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
mikehende

Would this work?

You bought a “Mac hard drive” but you are a Windows user; how to make it work on Windows? | Tips 'n Tricks | dotTech

See, I am not sure about the instructions here which I think is telling me how to format the drive for pc use so it will wipe the drive clean which not what I want?
QUOTE Thanks
mikehende

Or is this the driver you mean?

NTFS (Windows NT File System)

Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X: Install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free)
Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx 33USD).
Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard, but is not advisable, due to instability.
AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
Maximum file size: 16 TB
Maximum volume size: 256TB

taken from this thread?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1088460
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Or is this the driver you mean?

NTFS (Windows NT File System)

Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X: Install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free)
Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx 33USD).
Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard, but is not advisable, due to instability.
AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
Maximum file size: 16 TB
Maximum volume size: 256TB

taken from this thread?

Windows driver for reading Apple file system? - MacRumors Forums
I added a link to my original post for a software driver for your PC.
But here it is again.
Mediafour - MacDrive 9 Standard and Pro |

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Quote:
Would this work?

You bought a “Mac hard drive” but you are a Windows user; how to make it work on Windows? | Tips 'n Tricks | dotTech

See, I am not sure about the instructions here which I think is telling me how to format the drive for pc use so it will wipe the drive clean which not what I want?
This would work on a healthy disk, but would destroy all of the existing data.

QUOTE Thanks
mikehende

ok, thanks, will try the free trial.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Epson RX640 Printer & Airport Express Problems | Logictech MX 400 issue »