New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Is There Such a Cable???

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

PatM

PatM is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina

I have a Sony Mini DV video recorder. I would like to move DV tape from this recorder to my MacBook Pro. The Sony device has a Firewire cable that will allow this to be done but I don't have a Firewire port on my MBP.

Is there a cable that I can buy that will convert the Firewire to something that will work on my Mac? Does Apple have such a thing? I looked on the Apple website but could find nothing.

Can someone help me please?

Thanks,

Pat

15 " 2013 MBP OS X Ver. 10.9.1 16 GB Memory, 500 GB SSD, Retina, 2.3 Ghz I7, 30GB IPhone 5, 2012 Mini Cooper JCW Coupe, 2014 Toyota Corolla, 2007 Trailblazer, 2 RC Planes, 1 fantastic wife who puts up with my toys. Still Married After 30 Years.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

There are adaptors, yes, but whether they work for your purpose is hard to say>

Firewire IEEE 1394 6 Pin Male to Male USB 2.0 Adapter on eBay!

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.4

Hi,
I think it's one of these.Belkin Firewire Cable 6pin-4pin (1.8m): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Regards,
Liam

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

Moved to more appropriate forum.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatM View Post
but I don't have a Firewire port on my MBP.
Yes you do, you have a Firewire 800 port. You just need to buy a firewire 800 to 4-pin (camera side) cable:
1m IEEE-1394b FireWire 800 9-pin to 4-pin Cable (3.2ft) - Cables To Go
(This is just an example - be sure to compare prices at a few places - amazon.com, newegg.com, etc)
QUOTE Thanks
PatM

PatM is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina

Ok great news. Thanks everyone. I appreciate it very much.

Pat

15 " 2013 MBP OS X Ver. 10.9.1 16 GB Memory, 500 GB SSD, Retina, 2.3 Ghz I7, 30GB IPhone 5, 2012 Mini Cooper JCW Coupe, 2014 Toyota Corolla, 2007 Trailblazer, 2 RC Planes, 1 fantastic wife who puts up with my toys. Still Married After 30 Years.
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

Quote:
but whether they work for your purpose is hard to say
Probably not. Firewire transmits data in a continuous stream. USB transmits in chunks. Video tape outputs as a continuous stream, hence the need for a firewire connection. The adaptors still go through the USB card, which will process in chunks.
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyGem View Post
Probably not. Firewire transmits data in a continuous stream. USB transmits in chunks. Video tape outputs as a continuous stream, hence the need for a firewire connection. The adaptors still go through the USB card, which will process in chunks.
But would the Sony not have an onboard ADC to convert the output to go in noughts and one's in the first place by whatever means ? Why would an input separate to the USB input on the MBP use the USB card ? Just curious.

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

Quote:
But would the Sony not have an onboard ADC to convert the output to go in noughts and one's in the first place by whatever means ?
As it's DV(digital video) then it's already noughts and ones, but they are transmitted as a continuous stream because the tape moves continuously.

All miniDV camcorders require firewire for downloading to your computer. Harddrive/flash drive based camcorders use USB.
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyGem View Post
As it's DV(digital video) then it's already noughts and ones, but they are transmitted as a continuous stream because the tape moves continuously.

All miniDV camcorders require firewire for downloading to your computer. Harddrive/flash drive based camcorders use USB.
Ok...I just noticed the original cable proposal had USB which is where I got confused.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« La Cie Porsche Hard Drive | USB 3.0 too fast for PCI? »