New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

The SSD Thread

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Please do not double post. Your post has been merged together here in the SSD thread.
QUOTE Thanks
Orianm42

Orianm42 is on a distinguished road

I've replace the hard drive on my mac book pro 13, early 2011 about a week ago. No issues, great improvement in loading up PowerPort and other large graphics files.

I received an email from Crucial late last week indicating they revised the firmware to 01MG. I downloaded the file, burned the image to a CD using the OSX disk utility. Booted off the CD, program loads and then aborts indicating that no drives were found, but lists the m4 drive particulars and firmware rev - 000f. Then advises to use another tool. The service bulletin makes a vague reference to this issue being related a tool - controller incompatibility, but offers no real solution. Does anyone know know a work around for this?

thanks, Rob Combs
QUOTE Thanks
LBM

LBM is on a distinguished road

Hi there, I am willing to replace my 1TB HDD (IMAC 2011 27) with a SSD. As far as I have read, I will need more than just the disk, but also a cable and some kind of support to keep the disk in place. The problem is that I dont'y know if this part of a regular SSD package or if I have to buy those items separetely. Besides, I found it difficult to find exactly wich specification I will need, since there are so many options on offer (i.e. SATA/600, Micro SATA, Sata III interface, SATA interface, etc.). What would be the right choice for my desktop ?? (Of couse, given my complete lack of knowledge, I intend to have someone installing the disc for me...).

Thanks in advance and sorry for being so "basic"...
LBM
QUOTE Thanks
JUKE179r

JUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: '07 MBP 256GB SSD/6GB RAM/SL <--DAW!!!

This is almost word for word what my review was on NewEgg one month ago when I purchased the OCZ Vertex 4 SSD:

Pros: The Vertex 4 SSD made my older 2007 3,1 C2D MacBook Pro (OS 10.6.8) a new notebook all over again! This SSD fit perfectly in my MBP and my boot ups went from 1 minute 27 seconds with the 320GB 5400RPM WD platter drive to a blazing 12 seconds with the SSD! Opening applications happen as soon as I double click an icon. No more long waiting for app execution and spinning pinwheels for me! Also, shutting down my MBP is now instantaneous... well ok... 2 seconds but it's better than 48 seconds with a platter HD. lol

I researched for months and visited just about every SSD and Mac forum/blogs to find a reliable SSD but there hardly is any info out there for the older Mac notebooks with SSDs. I found a bunch nay sayers and as well as praisers about the OCZ brand. I for one will be a long time consumer of OCZ products from my first and only experience.

At first I was hesitant about installing an SSD with SATA III 6Gbit/s speed in a SATA 1.5GBit/s connection to the motherboard (Logic board) but all is still working great and faster than the older WD 5400RPM HDD.

Cons: Updating the firmware. Not so much a con, but make sure you update the firmware (1.5) for the Vertex 4 SSD before you start to format the drive. There is excellent step-by-step info on the OCZ forum about booting from a thumb drive to update the firmware.

Other Thoughts: If you are going to add your first SSD to your Mac, follow these steps by Googling for more information and the correct procedures for Terminal:
- turn off time machine snap shots
- turn off hibernation
- turn off the sudden motion sensor
- turn off hard drive sleep
- delete sleepimage file (I freed up 6GB)
- don't defrag the SSD!
- secure delete everything in the Trash (I've always done this even with the platter HD)

As for TRIM, I found on other forums/blogs that some people say to enable it and others say not to enable it. I tried with and without TRIM and didn't really noticed any differences. It has the Indilinx branded controller so I left TRIM enabled.
There are donationware apps on the web to help you to enable TRIM on your Mac.

Another thing I'd like to add, I use my MBP as my main Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) and for DJing. The SSD is so much snappier and quick when music programs store and retrieve my music projects using an external FW800 HDD.

I'm trully glad I made the switch to an SSD!

MBP 3,1 & 4,1 w/ Vertex 4 SSD | Logic Pro 9 | Ableton Live 8 | Traktor Pro 2 | AKAI MPK-49 | Roland MV-8000, TR-808 & TR-909 | Ensoniq ASR-10 | x0xb0x #911 | Denon DN-MC6000 | (3) Technics SL-1200MK1 | 3000+ vinyl records

Last edited by JUKE179r; 11-02-2012 at 06:44 PM.
QUOTE Thanks
Xterror

Xterror is on a distinguished road

So I purchased a Kingston Hyper X 3K from Amazon on sale a couple days ago for 65$. It arrived and I installed it, everything fine and can tell the huge difference from spinning drive. I downloaded BlackMagic to test speeds and it's writing at 170mb/s and reads at 440mb/s. Why is the write not as fast? Is it my 13" MBP late 2011 not being able to handle those speeds or is it the SSD. I saw that the SSD is rated 500/500. I know write should prob be slower, but that's a big difference from Read/Write.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
ChrisMan287

ChrisMan287 can only hope to improve

I want to upgrade to a SSD but not sure which one I'd need for my PowerBook
QUOTE Thanks
As Seen on TV

As Seen on TV is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMan287 View Post
I want to upgrade to a SSD but not sure which one I'd need for my PowerBook
PowerBooks will require a PATA interfaced SSD. You will need a PATA to SATA converter as no one manufactures these anymore.

Inversely you can use a CF card and a CF card to PATA interface as a "SSD".
QUOTE Thanks
ChrisMan287

ChrisMan287 can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Seen on TV View Post
PowerBooks will require a PATA interfaced SSD. You will need a PATA to SATA converter as no one manufactures these anymore.
OWC actually makes a PATA SSD but it's expensive. I ended up just getting a 250GB 5400RPM.

15" PowerBook G4, 1.67GHz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD ; 16GB iPad2.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Cyber Monday got the best of me... I've been watching the Crucial m500 gradually drop in price over the last several months. When the 480gb dropped down to $269, I couldn't help myself and bought an early Christmas gift (my wife and I aren't exchanging this year because of a forthcoming vacation). Just finished installing it in my MBP - and while performance is comparable to the M4 that it replaced, it sure is nice to have some more elbow room! That 256gb M4 was starting to feel a bit cramped.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Cyber Monday got the best of me... I've been watching the Crucial m500 gradually drop in price over the last several months. When the 480gb dropped down to $269, I couldn't help myself and bought an early Christmas gift (my wife and I aren't exchanging this year because of a forthcoming vacation). Just finished installing it in my MBP - and while performance is comparable to the M4 that it replaced, it sure is nice to have some more elbow room! That 256gb M4 was starting to feel a bit cramped.
Great purchase! Did you see the 1tb Seagate 840 the other day for under 500? There have been some good SSD deals this week. I know the feeling of "elbow room". I went from my MBA with the tiny 64gb to a new rMBP with 256gb. Night and day difference, and not only in size. This thing is fast!!!

Speed test the m500 yet?

2.4GHz 13" rMBP 256gb | 2.5GHz Mac Mini w/ FusionDrive | Mac Pro 3,1 2x 2.8GHz | Dual 2.0GHz PowerMac G5 | 24" ACD | 64GB Verizon iPhone 6 Plus | iPad 32GB Verizon LTE | iPad mini 16GB | Gen 7 Nano | TV1 | TV3
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCL View Post
Great purchase! Did you see the 1tb Seagate 840 the other day for under 500?
Is that Seagate or Samsung? If the latter, that particular SSD I'm a little wary of because I understand it uses TLC NAND which has far fewer write cycles, meaning that it will be one of the most short-lived SSDs on the market.

Also, I try to avoid patronizing Samsung in any way possible.

Quote:
There have been some good SSD deals this week. I know the feeling of "elbow room". I went from my MBA with the tiny 64gb to a new rMBP with 256gb. Night and day difference, and not only in size. This thing is fast!!!

Speed test the m500 yet?
Not yet. Any good tools you know of for benchmarking SSDs on the Mac?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Is that Seagate or Samsung? If the latter, that particular SSD I'm a little wary of because I understand it uses TLC NAND which has far fewer write cycles, meaning that it will be one of the most short-lived SSDs on the market.

Also, I try to avoid patronizing Samsung in any way possible.
Oh yes, Samsung. Must have been half asleep when I posted that!! LOL

Quote:
Not yet. Any good tools you know of for benchmarking SSDs on the Mac?
Give Blackmagic Disk Speed Test a try.

2.4GHz 13" rMBP 256gb | 2.5GHz Mac Mini w/ FusionDrive | Mac Pro 3,1 2x 2.8GHz | Dual 2.0GHz PowerMac G5 | 24" ACD | 64GB Verizon iPhone 6 Plus | iPad 32GB Verizon LTE | iPad mini 16GB | Gen 7 Nano | TV1 | TV3
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Oh yes, Samsung. Must have been half asleep when I posted that!! LOL
Ah OK, wasn't sure - I know that Seagate has been more aggressive as of late about getting into the SSD market.

Quote:
Give Blackmagic Disk Speed Test a try.
It shows 417MB/s Write and 476.5MB/s Read. Not too shabby, though also not as high as it's rated for reads. Then again, this is an older MBP and the chipset was one of the first to support SATA 6Gb/s.

QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

Those are very respectable speeds, especially on some older hardware. I bet it's like you just got a new computer at a fraction of the cost.

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Those are very respectable speeds, especially on some older hardware. I bet it's like you just got a new computer at a fraction of the cost.
Well, this replaced a Crucial M4, which was no slouch either... though I don't recall having measured it, I think it was rated somewhere in the 350MB/s read and 200MB/s write range. So, it's not earth shattering (though I have yet to transfer any truly large files).

That said, the old M4 just went into my wife's ancient Dell Latitude D620 (circa 2007) and that is a dramatic difference, even she is sure to notice (and she never notices anything).

Can't wait to see if she reacts at all when she picks it up next time. I haven't told her I was planning on swapping it.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac compatible Webcam does not work on my MacBookPro | Time Machine - include SD card »