New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Airport Express.. Worth it?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jmart193

jmart193 is on a distinguished road

Hello, I am thinking about buying an airport express... The internet in my house is a little slow and I was wondering would an airport express would make the internet faster? My other question is that if you set up the airport express, do you have to have the ethernet connected all the time?
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Unless your current wireless router is bad or acting up you will not see a speed gain but you will have the ability to run a USB printer from a remote location besides being able to connect the optical out to your Hi-Fi for bit perfect output.
The set up depends on how its setup most use it to join a wireless which does not use an ethernet cable. The instructions and setup can be downloaded at Apple' website so
you can have an idea before you purchase it also has a great help feature.
QUOTE Thanks
Rasser

Rasser is on a distinguished road

External hard drive is not supported in the Express, only Extreme!
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

I doubt it - but there's no conclusive answer without knowing what's causing your connection to be slow to begin with. If you start with isolating that - it'll be easer to suggest a fix. In either case - the Express isn't really a bandaid for slow connections unless you're really struggling with signal strength. By introducing the Express as a network extender - you automatically reduce available bandwidth in the first place. I'd recommend looking more closely at your current router, both brand and placement and see if there's room for improvement there.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasser View Post
External hard drive is not supported in the Express, only Extreme!
You are correct I stand corrected.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLachoreVPI View Post
I doubt it - but there's no conclusive answer without knowing what's causing your connection to be slow to begin with. If you start with isolating that - it'll be easer to suggest a fix. In either case - the Express isn't really a bandaid for slow connections unless you're really struggling with signal strength. By introducing the Express as a network extender - you automatically reduce available bandwidth in the first place. I'd recommend looking more closely at your current router, both brand and placement and see if there's room for improvement there.
Yep, it works real well for me in that it extended my network into my living room (and to devices that are ethernet only, and I really hate pulling cable through roofs). Aside from that, I needed a WAP on a business trip.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
Yep, it works real well for me in that it extended my network into my living room (and to devices that are ethernet only, and I really hate pulling cable through roofs). Aside from that, I needed a WAP on a business trip.
Yes - it's my WAP as well for trips. Can't beat it and I'm surprised at how many places still don't have wireless deployed throughout.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLachoreVPI View Post
Yes - it's my WAP as well for trips. Can't beat it and I'm surprised at how many places still don't have wireless deployed throughout.
Does a great job of streaming music over the miniTOS port to my stereo too

mike
QUOTE Thanks
jmart193

jmart193 is on a distinguished road

Okay so if I bring it on trips for example, do I just plug it into the wall and it will create a wireless connection, or do I need to bring an Ethernet cable with me?
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart193 View Post
Okay so if I bring it on trips for example, do I just plug it into the wall and it will create a wireless connection, or do I need to bring an Ethernet cable with me?

You plug the hotel's wired ethernet into the Airport Express then just plug it into the wall.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Most hotels I've stayed at have a cable in the room, assuming they don't provide wifi. That said in recent years I've been staying at hyatts and it's not been an issue. At least for work.

mike
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Charger issues | SG GoFlex640GB USB 2.0 HDD at Wal-Mart »