New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Resolution issue on iMac to HD projector

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

expiry5

expiry5 is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I have an early 2009 iMac 24" connected to a HD projector with mini display port to vga. Somehow I only get 1600x1200 resolution, and not the full HD the projector has.

If I mirror the displays, both my mac and projector get a 1600x1200 res, if I uncheck mirrors, my mac goes back to 1920x1200, but the projector stays the same.

The cables should be fine as far as I know. Could there be a hardware issue, graphics card for instance? Or do you have an idea of what else could be the problem?

Thanks for any thoughts or tips (and I apologize if the answer could be found elsewhere, I'm new to the forums)
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

What is the native resolution of the HD projector? And does the iMac correctly recognize the projector? Note that you can not get any higher resolution from the projector above its native resolution regardless of the resolution of the iMac.
QUOTE Thanks
expiry5

The native resolution for the projector is 1080i, 1920x1080 px.

I am borrowing the projector from my brother, and I don't think he had any problems getting the highest resolution when connecting to his macbook, so I'm wondering if it's an imac issue.

What do you mean by "correctly recognize the projector" though? I can get a picture without any detection problems, only I can not have 1080i as resolution.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

What I'm referring to is this: When opening System Preferences, Displays, and selecting "Detect Displays", does your iMac correctly identify the projector?

When connecting a projector to a MacBook or MacBook Pro, the projector will automatically display its native resolution when the lid on the MacBook or MacBook Pro is closed. Unfortunately, an iMac can not be operated in clamshell mode.

Another thing just occurred to me.... you're using a MDP to VGA adapter. Have you tried MDP to HDMI instead?
QUOTE Thanks
expiry5

Nothing seems to be happening when I press "detect displays".

Other than that, I haven't tried MDP to HDMI yet (I'd rather not spend more money on cables if I could make this work). Also I talked to an Apple store employee and he meant that if it didn't work with my current setup it wouldn't be any better with HDMI.

Is there supposed to be a difference between the two, if so, in what way? Again, thanks for continuing to reply and help out
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

There is a difference between the types of cable since MDP to VGA is analog and the MDP to HDMI or even MDP to DVI is digital. Much better bandwidth when the signal is digital. I don't honestly know if that will make a difference though to gain the higher resolution.

I would try the better cable but purchase it from a supplier who will refund your money if it doesn't work.
QUOTE Thanks
expiry5

Good idea. I'll see if I can find one!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hard drive upgrade question | printer »