Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Other Hardware and Peripherals (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/other-hardware-peripherals/)
-   -   Non-Mac computer woes; two questions: Is this legal? And would it work anyway? (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/other-hardware-peripherals/259456-non-mac-computer-woes-two-questions-legal-would-work-anyway.html)

Ctrl-Opt-Del 12-04-2011 11:56 AM

Non-Mac computer woes; two questions: Is this legal? And would it work anyway?

I recently purchased an HP Pavilion DV7 laptop (yes, I know, PC; but most of the software for my degree is Windows-only, so - with my limited funds - a PC was the best choice for me right now).

The issue I'm having is neither with the hardware, nor with Windows 7 itself; it's with all the (seemingly non-uninstallable) junk HP bundled-in with it that keeps making it freeze or BSoD.

I've gathered that the simplest option is just to reinstall Windows, but it seems a bit unfair for me to have to pay for another install of Windows because HP spoiled the one I already have.

Thus, my question; if I were to borrow a Windows 7 Home Premium retail install disk from a friend of mine, and then use the product activation key from the HP-specific OEM install currently on my computer to activate it, would that count as "piracy" (bearing in mind that I paid for the licence to have one install of that edition of Win7 running on this computer when I purchased it, and I would still only have one install of it afterwards), and - indeed - would it even work, or is that activation key a one time only affair that has been "used up", as it were?

Cheers for any help or advice :)

Dysfunction 12-04-2011 12:00 PM

If you have a windows 7 key sticker on your computer, that computer has a license. As long as the key matches the version you're using it's legit. So if your sticker says "Windows 7 Home Premium" it's legal and would work. If it doesn't it isn't.

There is a limit to activations, however, it's only tied to automated ones. After that it's easy to call MS, explain why you need to reactivate and get it activated (system reinstalls is a common reason).

RavingMac 12-04-2011 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ctrl-Opt-Del (Post 1335816)
I recently purchased an HP Pavilion DV7 laptop (yes, I know, PC; but most of the software for my degree is Windows-only, so - with my limited funds - a PC was the best choice for me right now).

The issue I'm having is neither with the hardware, nor with Windows 7 itself; it's with all the (seemingly non-uninstallable) junk HP bundled-in with it that keeps making it freeze or BSoD.

I've gathered that the simplest option is just to reinstall Windows, but it seems a bit unfair for me to have to pay for another install of Windows because HP spoiled the one I already have.

Thus, my question; if I were to borrow a Windows 7 Home Premium retail install disk from a friend of mine, and then use the product activation key from the HP-specific OEM install currently on my computer to activate it, would that count as "piracy" (bearing in mind that I paid for the licence to have one install of that edition of Win7 running on this computer when I purchased it, and I would still only have one install of it afterwards), and - indeed - would it even work, or is that activation key a one time only affair that has been "used up", as it were?

Cheers for any help or advice :)

First of all I don't know if it will work. And, I am not at all certain of the legality either. I do know that what you actually purchase is the license rather than the software, so I (engineer rather than lawyer self) could buy your argument.
We have at least one lawyer on this forum so I will defer to his analysis regarding legality.

vansmith 12-04-2011 12:01 PM

Moved to a more appropriate forums. Doesn't belong in Schweb's Lounge.

chscag 12-04-2011 08:40 PM

It may not work. As mike stated, there's likely a Product ID sticker on the machine. However, that sticker is for a specific OEM product, in this case HP.

Installing a retail version of Windows 7 and using a HP OEM Product ID may not work. I have seen that same scenario fail before but it was with a Dell OEM Product ID.

MS tightened up the PIDs back around 2004 or 05 and issued a separate PID series for OEM products.

cwa107 12-04-2011 10:48 PM

There may be a simpler solution here. Have you tried using the PC Decrapifier?

Crappy PC No More! | The PC Decrapifier