New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Mouse Recommendation?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JacksonRR1

JacksonRR1 is on a distinguished road

Can anyone recommend a good mouse for my new iMac? The Magic Mouse was pokey, even when I used terminal to speed it up. I'm looking for faster, more accurate, currently using an old Logic USB mouse. I've been checking out the Logitech V440 and the Swirli-something ergonomic mouse.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonRR1 View Post
Can anyone recommend a good mouse for my new iMac? The Magic Mouse was pokey, even when I used terminal to speed it up. I'm looking for faster, more accurate, currently using an old Logic USB mouse. I've been checking out the Logitech V440 and the Swirli-something ergonomic mouse.
The best mouse I can reccomend is the Magic TrackPad.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

TrackPad is not a mouse. It is a nice piece of hardware, but I would not use it for most of what I do.

I have a Logitech G700 gaming mouse that I use most of the time. I have a piece of software on my MPB that allows me to utilize all the buttons since it isnt supported natively by OSX. I cannot remember the name for the life of me, but I bet someone here knows.

If I were to go and purchase a new mouse today? Razor Mamba - it is natively supported by OSX.
Razer Mamba - Wireless Gaming Mouse | Razer Online Store

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
The best mouse I can reccomend is the Magic TrackPad.
Must be me, but mine lasted two days before I returned it. Hard to teach old dogs (me) new Magic tricks.... Still using my old trusty Logitech.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

I agree that a TrackPad is not a mouse (answer was meant tongue in cheek--sort of). Having said that, I am not a gamer and two buttons have always been more than enough for me, I haven't voluntarily used a mouse since I got my TrackPad.

I know it isn't for everyone, but it is my reccomendation.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

Even so, but I still don't want a trackpad for video/photo editing. The exception being a pen interface like the Wacom tablets.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Trackpad here too I have to say. I hate using a mouse now.
That said, for your intended useage, then Logitech make some of the better ones for sure.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
JacksonRR1

Thanks for the input, folks.
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

My old Logitech mouse finally broken on me after many years of usage. I decided to get the Logitech M500 corded mouse and have been very satisfied with it so far. I tend to prefer corded mouses. I don't have to deal with batteries.

I only use it as a basic mouse so I haven't installed the software it needs for all the fancy buttons. I know I could've bought a cheap basic mouse but the ergonomics and better precision in laser accuracy is a benefit to this mouse in comparison. It was worth it for me.
QUOTE Thanks
JacksonRR1

I guess what I'm looking for is reassurance that a mouse will track quickly and accurately, as well as scroll smoothly and accurately.

I loved scrolling with no wheel on the Magic Mouse, but I was shocked that it was so slow and sluggish despite my manually setting the scaling in Terminal. I would've thought Apple would make the best mouse for a Mac, and here I am going back to the ugly gray Logitech. :-)
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonRR1 View Post
I guess what I'm looking for is reassurance that a mouse will track quickly and accurately, as well as scroll smoothly and accurately.

I loved scrolling with no wheel on the Magic Mouse, but I was shocked that it was so slow and sluggish despite my manually setting the scaling in Terminal. I would've thought Apple would make the best mouse for a Mac, and here I am going back to the ugly gray Logitech. :-)
My Logitech M500 tracks quickly and accurately enough for me. I have noticed that each mouse has it's own tracking speeds. I've used three different mouse and they all had a different tracking speed even though they were at the same settings.

The other thing I like about the M500 is that it has a smooth scroll feature that can be turned off and on with a button. This means I can scroll up and down quickly by just flicking the wheel. When I want more precise and slow scrolling I just click the button and scroll like normal. That's probably not what you are looking for but I thought I would mention it because it's a nice feature.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckyon View Post
Even so, but I still don't want a trackpad for video/photo editing. The exception being a pen interface like the Wacom tablets.
Actually, being a Wacom user.. I can state that if I can't use the Wacom, I use the trackpad. I HATE using mice for this type of work, it's sooooo counter-intuitive.

That said, neither even come close to the tablet for functionality anyway. Period.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Scanner doe not work in Photoshop | Mac and Windows Capatable HD Needed »