New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Apple display 22" Power light flickering

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dp31976

dp31976 is on a distinguished road

I have a G5 which is running my 22" cinema display, I have just purchased another screen so I can run them together. I have a dvi converter box which I know works but the problem is with my 2nd screen.

The power light is constantly flickering randomly with no sequence. The image sometimes appears for several seconds and then goes off to a black screen. The picture comes on at random times. When the picture does appear the light becomes stable but then within a few seconds it goes back to flickering. I tried connecting the 2nd screen on its own but the same problem occurs so its definitely the screen.

Can anybody identify the problem and tell me if its possible to fix
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

My first guess would be a problem with the power supply of the 2nd display.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
dp31976

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
My first guess would be a problem with the power supply of the 2nd display.
Sorry I should have mentioned this is the 22" which is powered from the ADC plug so there is no external supply. The Graphic card supplies the power. The graphics card is a GeForce FX 5200 64mb.

The screen is functioning as the mouse cursor goes into the other screen and also you can move windows and the browser window over to the other screen
QUOTE Thanks
dp31976

After opening the screen I disconnected the wire which leads to the power and brightness controls and the screen stays on perfectly. It means I can't adjust the brightness or use the power button to start or turn off the mac but because its the 2nd screen it turn on and off when I start the main screen or the tower.

Is there a way of adjusting the brightness? or is it disabled because the wire is disconnected?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Wireless Keyboard | Aluminum Keyboard »