New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Time Capsule - what does Windows see?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Dom_J

Dom_J is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13

Hi. I've just purchased a MacBook Pro and am considering buying a Time Capsule. My plan is to store all my files (photos/docs/music/etc) locally on my MacBook and back them up using Time Machine. However, my wife has a Windows machine and I'm not sure what access she will have to the TC and how the Time Machine back up files will present themselves to her, if at all (i.e. will she get a browsable file structure like windows where she can access all the docs, photos, music, etc from her windows machine)?

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

No, neither you nor she will browse the Time Machine backup in that way.
Nor should you. That's a good way to corrupt your backup.

If you want to share documents, then share your documents, pictures, etc folders from your Mac.

You can store other stuff on the TC aside from the TM backup if you want to share in that way.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Dom_J

Dom_J is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13

Thanks. I presume to share files with her I would need to have my machine booted up at the time she wants access, or alternatively do an extra file level backup of all the photos/music/docs/etc to the TC, separate to the time machine backup? I'd guess this will double the storage requirements on the TC...
QUOTE Thanks
_Stormin

_Stormin has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule

She can easily use the router and any attached storage device, but won't see your backups.

To share files your machine would have to be on, or they would have to be stored on the Time Machine's drive separate from your backups.
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stormin View Post
To share files your machine would have to be on, or they would have to be stored on the Time Machine's drive separate from your backups.
You meant to say "Time Capsule", not "Time Machine".

The Time Capsule is the device. Time Machine is the backup software. The Time Machine backup will not be visible on the PC, however, the drive inside the Time Capsule will show up on the PC just like an external drive and the PC will be able to read and write to it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Time Capsule Reliability | Recommend A Monitor (In The UK) »