New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

La Cie Porsche Hard Drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

acch

acch is on a distinguished road

Having installed this device using LaCie backup assistant, the device continually failed to back up.
I checked out the Time Machine settings, all were good.
I set up the partition, that was fine also.
It then carried out the first back up, but since then, 5 days ago, it has continually failed to back up, now does it allow me to eject the device.

Any ideas/tips please?

Tony
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I've moved your post to a more proper forum; please be sure to check the forum descriptions to find the best place to post.

By posting in the right forum you help people not only find your question faster, but it helps others looking for the same information in the future.

Thanks for understanding!

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
diannetrussell

diannetrussell is on a distinguished road

What forum did you move it to please? I have a LaCie hard drive problem and need to pick people's brains about it....
QUOTE Thanks
diannetrussell

diannetrussell is on a distinguished road

Here's my problem: just bought a LaCie Porsche P9220 external hard drive.
Been carefully following the manual for formatting instructions.
All good up until clicking "Format" (after creating password).
Instead of "volume has been successfully created" msg, I get: "Invalid argument: /Volumes/LA-PUBLIC/LaPrivate/LaPrivate.lc"
I cannot find anything about it in the manual, or on Google so far. The Apple store I bought it from is closed today. Can anyone help?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by diannetrussell View Post
What forum did you move it to please? I have a LaCie hard drive problem and need to pick people's brains about it....
You're in the thread you seek, which is located in "Other Hardware and Peripherals".

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by diannetrussell View Post
Here's my problem: just bought a LaCie Porsche P9220 external hard drive.
Been carefully following the manual for formatting instructions.
All good up until clicking "Format" (after creating password).
Instead of "volume has been successfully created" msg, I get: "Invalid argument: /Volumes/LA-PUBLIC/LaPrivate/LaPrivate.lc"
I cannot find anything about it in the manual, or on Google so far. The Apple store I bought it from is closed today. Can anyone help?
It sounds as though your LaCie drive has some kind of proprietary encryption software on it - and further, it's not working particularly well (no surprise as LaCie is just a purveyor of fancy looking cases, and is not known for software). My advice would be to skip their setup entirely, open Disk Utility (Applications => Utilities) and use the "Erase" tab to format the drive as Mac OS X Extended (Journaled).

That should make the drive mount up properly and be available for your storage needs. If you really need the encryption, you'll want to contact LaCie's technical support for assistance as I highly doubt the Apple staff is trained on the eccentricities of third-party products.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Question about Time Capsule Message | Is There Such a Cable??? »