New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Connecting a PS3 to an iMac (21.5 - 3.6GHz)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

madkow

madkow is on a distinguished road

Firstly
- Is it possible?

Secondly
- Would I need to buy something else to make it work?

Lastly
- How smoothly would the game play be?

Also let me know if I'm missing an important question here.
QUOTE Thanks
cptkrf

cptkrf is a jewel in the roughcptkrf is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 2013, MacMini,2013, Intel Core i7, 16gb, 27" Thunderbolt display (Highly recommended!)

First off, what are you trying to do? If it is run PS3 programs on the Mac, no, you can't for several reasons, both legal and physical.

Second, why? A PS3 game is going to be it's best running natively on a PS3 console. Running it somehow through a Mac won't gain anything.

So, if you already have a PS3, then the question is moot. If you don't have a PS3, then the answer is NO.

Now, if I am misreading the question, and what you want to do is use the display of a Mac for the output, that might be possible if you can get the video stream converted from HDMI to something else, and don't run afoul of any DRM that might be in the stream. But I seriously doubt that it would be worth the trouble.
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

It is not possible to use an imac as a display for a ps3. Only the 27" models have a video input.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madkow View Post
Firstly
- Is it possible?
Not on a 21.5" model (as robduckyworth points out, only the 27" models have video input)

Quote:
Secondly
- Would I need to buy something else to make it work?
If you had a 27" model you'd need something like the Kanex HD to convert HDMI to Mini-displayport

Quote:
Lastly
- How smoothly would the game play be?
The resolution would have to be 720p. It's as smooth as playing on any high-end LCD screen.

NB: I appreciate the reply is mostly a moot point now but the info is there should you move to a 27" model or someone else finds the post suitably equipt!

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
SFBloodBrother

SFBloodBrother is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iPhone 3GS Black, Macbook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

I see why you would want to do that. But I don't think it will work.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I've moved your post to a more proper forum; please be sure to check the forum descriptions to find the best place to post.

By posting in the right forum you help people not only find your question faster, but it helps others looking for the same information in the future.

Thanks for understanding!

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
The Crafter

The Crafter is on a distinguished road

I'd rather bump this thread than create a new one. Looking to connect my PS3 to my 27in iMac. Now, the connecter from Apple is around $130. There are several from Bestbuy that are around $30-40, specifically the middle two in this search.

hdmi to displayport - BestBuy

What I'm asking is can I get the cheap ones? Will they work fine to hook up my PS3 and play games using my iMac as a monitor or do I have to shell out an arm and a leg to get the one from Apple?

Edit: Welp, after reading some reviews it seems like an excellent choice. Muahaha suck it Apple you greedy *******s.
QUOTE Thanks
solsen

solsen is on a distinguished road

How do I transfer files (music and photos) from my PS3 to my new iMac? I have MediaLink installed and running. It is easy to transfer files from Mac to PS3, but how do I transfer files from PS3 to Mac? Does anyone know?

Kind regards,
solsen
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« WD My Book external drive help | Steering wheels? »