New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Old HD no good? Best next steps?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Gerlinky

Gerlinky is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 MacBook Pro 15" 2GHz, 8Gb RAM, 500GB HD Serial ATA Drive @7200 & Antiglare (regrettably)

Hi,

Please accept I know veer little about the techie/IT side, so forgive what might appear to be 'obvious' questions...

I've recently moved from PC to MacBook Pro. I own a LaCie Ethernet Disk mini that used to do backups for my PC but have since discovered it's 7 years old. Presume my best bet is to start again?

What would you recommend for a 500GB machine that is mostly full of Adobe CS and Office files, music and photos (total usage of machine = 150GB currently).

What's the best way to do my backups? I already use Carbonite for an online solution, but think it wise to have my own in-house version. Ideally, I'd like to plug a new backup into my wireless network, so I'm not having to plug/unplug my laptop into devices every time I move, but is that wise? I don't want to spend a fortune, naturally, and yet, my business demands appropriate care, attention and professionalism. Quality wins out every time IMHO.

Welcome any advice or pointers to where to check out. Am drowning in 'sales patter' versus common sense, unbiased, know-how.

Thanks in advance.
G
QUOTE Thanks
Gerlinky

Gerlinky is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 MacBook Pro 15" 2GHz, 8Gb RAM, 500GB HD Serial ATA Drive @7200 & Antiglare (regrettably)

I received some useful info in response to this post (which has subsequently disappeared!) In essence it advised RAID 1 type backups. While I understand the logic behind this, with an existing online backup facility, plus the ability to archive critical files elsewhere (on a shared drive between colleagues), I'm thinking a one disk backup *should* suffice (and be more affordable). I am hoping to spend <200 if possible...

Does anyone have any recommendations given my situation as stated above, please?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Upgrade to SSD drive | external monitor color problem - DVI to VGA »