New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

TC won't connect to the internet if plugged in directly to the cable modem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dctak

dctak is on a distinguished road

I just purchased a TC and was unable to get it to connect to the internet (error was that it had an invalid IP) when I plugged it into my cable modem (Motorola Surfboard SB5101). I have a PhonePower adapter for my VOIP and if I use that as an intermediary, then my TC successfully connects to the internet and I can use the TC as both wireless network and TM back-up. I have been in contact with both Apple and my ISP, Wave Broadband, and both indicate it is not a problem with their product. Obviously both the cable modem and TC work, but for some reason they don't communicate if connected directly to one another. I have reset/rebooted all devices and still it won't work if the TC and modem are connected directly to one another.

I thought about buying a new cable modem to see if that would fix the problem, but I'm really trying to make what I have work, since each device does work. It just doesn't work when set-up the way I think it should be set-up.

I asked my ISP to release my MAC address of my old router and they said by resetting the modem on their end it does that. Apple said it sounds like a provisioning issue with the modem, but I don't understand what that means.

Any tips, input, advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if you think it is a problem with the cable modem, which brand do you suggest I get. What has been known to work seamlessly with TC.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MagSafe Power Adapter | PC display as MBP wireless monitor? »