firewire vs. usb for backup
    I am looking at buying an external drive for use for time machine backups. From what I understand firewire is faster than usb, but how much faster is it really in real world use? Is it worth the extra cost? I can get a 1TB usb drive for about half of the cost of a firewire unit as it seems the usb are always on sale. I can envision the initial time machine backup taking hours and hours but after that it should not be a ton of data so the speed difference shouldn't be that noticible or will it? Right now I have about 400 GB full on my hd and I rarely have more than 2-3 GB of changes in files on any given day.

2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Get the USB drive. It's just a backup drive which you will probably be accessing very infrequently...and at half the cost...why not.

If it was going to be an "every day drive"...and you had lots of large files to transfer back & forth...then every bit of speed might be a more important matter.

My 2 cents,

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

In Denial
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    I agree with Nick and have a number of external drives (both USB and Firewire). For Time Machine backup I use a (actually 2) USB drive. Initial backup is a little slow, but updates are fairly quick.

OTA for things like Aperture Libraries (which I tend to keep on external drives) I use Firewire for the speed.
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air 2, AppleTV2
    +1 from me too - get the USB.

If it was connected 24x7 I'd go firewire - much faster at copying multiple small files than USB and the power management of firewire drives is controlled by the OS so they spin down when not in use.

For occasional backup etc. USB is better value
    External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post

Fort Worth, Texas
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    I've got an iOmega triple interface drive (FW 800, 400, and USB). Yes, USB is somewhat slower, but not noticeable - for me anyway.

Thread Information