New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Mac mini peripherals?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mr_Dre

Mr_Dre is on a distinguished road

Hello there!

I've just ordered my first mac (mac mini) and I've just seen that it doesn't come with a keyboard or mouse!
I know it has Bluetooth, so can I use any Bluetooth keyboard with it or do I really want to spend 60 on an apple one.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Dre View Post
Hello there!

I've just ordered my first mac (mac mini) and I've just seen that it doesn't come with a keyboard or mouse!
I know it has Bluetooth, so can I use any Bluetooth keyboard with it or do I really want to spend 60 on an apple one.
I really like my Apple keyboard and magic trackpad. IMO both are worth spending money on.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

AFAIK it will work with any Bluetooth keyboard.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Hello there!

I hope that this didn't surprise you...that's one of the reasons why Mac-minis are less expensive. It's been this way since the first Mac-minis were released in January, 2005 (almost 7 years ago)!

And like others have mentioned...just about any USB mouse & keyboard should work....and I would think most bluetooth devices should work as well.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Mr_Dre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
AFAIK it will work with any Bluetooth keyboard.
Sorry to sound dumb but what is AFAIK?

I guess i will just bite the bullet and get the apple keyboard, not to sure about the mouse tbh.

Thanks for your help guys!
QUOTE Thanks
Chuckoir

Chuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb

AFAIK - As far as I know.

I hope the fact it doesn't come with a monitor won't be a surprise to you either.
QUOTE Thanks
Mr_Dre

LOL! i am aware of that hehe. I just cant wait to get it now!
QUOTE Thanks
class77

class77 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4

Quote:
LOL! i am aware of that hehe. I just cant wait to get it now!
You will need a USB keyboard and mouse to set the mini up. Then you can pair it with the bluetooth keyboard/mouse/pointing device

 24" iMac, 3.06GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 10.6.8
 2011 Mac mini, 2.7Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 10.7.3
 iPad3 64GB, iPad2 32 GB
 iPhone 4, 32GB  Airport Extreme 5
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by class77 View Post
You will need a USB keyboard and mouse to set the mini up. Then you can pair it with the bluetooth keyboard/mouse/pointing device
I do not remember doing that . . . at the time I had a 3rd party BT Keyboard and Mouse (have since switched to Apple KB & Trackpad).

Don't believe there is any need to have a USB KB to set it up but always a good idea to keep one around for troubleshooting.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Chuckoir

Chuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Maybe you should tell Apple that, as when you buy a mini, the BT keyboard and mouse are added extras and it says nothing about having a wired one first.
QUOTE Thanks
Mr_Dre

Ok well I'm due to receive it quite soon. I've got a USB keyboard in case I need one, I'll drop an update here when I know if the bluetooth keyboard worked.
QUOTE Thanks
RustProofCorn

RustProofCorn has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I hope this isnt true. I also just purchased a mini and already have a apple bt keyboard and magic mouse. ugh. it will be here today i can let you know tonight.

60% of the time it works every time.
QUOTE Thanks
Chuckoir

I can't see why you would need a USB one... I received the BT Keyboard and Trackpad with my iMac, and didn't need a USB keyboard to set it up. It just worked straight out the box. As it would.

I imagine it has the same Bluetooth gubbins inside, so can't see how it would be any different.
QUOTE Thanks
class77

class77 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4

I'm buying a Mac Mini myself and the Apple store personnel told me, FOR THE INITIAL SETUP ONLY, you can't pair a wireless keyboard with a new mini. You must have a wired keyboard and a wired or usb pointing device. After the initial setup, you can then pair your wireless keyboard with your new mini

Threads like this on Apple support pages are what I'm basing this on:Mini Setup

 24" iMac, 3.06GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 10.6.8
 2011 Mac mini, 2.7Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 10.7.3
 iPad3 64GB, iPad2 32 GB
 iPhone 4, 32GB  Airport Extreme 5
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Quote:
I'm buying a Mac Mini myself and the Apple store personnel told me, FOR THE INITIAL SETUP ONLY, you can't pair a wireless keyboard with a new mini. You must have a wired keyboard and a wired or usb pointing device. After the initial setup, you can then pair your wireless keyboard with your new mini

Threads like this on Apple support pages are what I'm basing this on:Mini Setup
I read the threads and no doubt some people experience problems, but since most people I know of who have Mac Minis also use wireless keyboard and mouse or trackpad, if this was a widespread problem there would be a major change to configuration.

My Mac Mini is the late 2009 model, set up and pairing to BT was quick and easy. Definitely did not use a wired keyboard.

Interesting to see if any of those of you awaiting your new Mac Minis have any problems.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« External HD Mounting Help | Time Capsule continually backing up large amounts of data »