Connect MacBook Pro to TV
    1) My laptop is a MacBook Pro, 15 inch, processor 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DD3, purchased new in March 2011.
    2) My TV is a 42 inch Vizio "3D Full Array LED LCD HDTV". The model number is XVT3D424SV. Here is the manual http://70.168.148.201/documents/down...-474-553SV.pdf

I am trying to watch HBO Go on my TV. I am told by HBO Go and my provider DirecTV that the way to do that is stream to the MacBook while it is connected to the TV.

Vizio told me that the way to connect the MacBook to the TV is by HDMI or RGB cable.

So, my question is: I don't see an HDMI or RGB port on the MacBook, so I assume I need an adaptor? It is my understanding that HDMI is preferable to RGB (better picture), so I guess I would prefer to connect that way, if possible.

At Amazon.com I see a "Mini DisplayPort to HDMI" adaptor that "lets you connect a high definition monitor, projector, or LCD that uses a HDMI connector or cable to a MacBook, MacBook Pro, or MacBook Air with a mini DisplayPort".

Does my MacBook have a mini DisplayPort? If so, is that the device I should use to "transfer" the desktop display (HBO Go) to the TV screen?
    Update: I think I do not have a mini DisplayPort. My ports, from left to right, are: Power, Ethernet, Firewire 800, Thunderbolt, USB, USB, SDXC card, audio in, audio out.

Thank you. Any help will be very much appreciated!

Specs:
    Way... way too many specs to list.
    thunderbolt is also a MDP.
    mike
    This machine kills fascists
    Got # ? phear the command line!

Thank you.

Okay. I got a MiniDisplay to HDMI cable, and have connected the laptop to the television. At System Preferences>>Sound>>Output, I selected "HDMI", and the sound from the laptop plays on the television perfectly. But ...

... the only image that displays on the television is the laptop's Desktop (Andromeda Galaxy). When I open Safari, it does not display on the television. That is, the Desktop remains, but nothing else.

I think that somehow I have to instruct the MacBook to send the video out to the television in the same way that I instructed the MacBook to output the sound to the television. The question is, how do I do that? I assume the answer is at System Preferences, but browsing that, I could not find the answer.

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
    Quote Originally Posted by stefanmaine View Post
    Okay. I got a MiniDisplay to HDMI cable, and have connected the laptop to the television. At System Preferences>>Sound>>Output, I selected "HDMI", and the sound from the laptop plays on the television perfectly. But ...

... the only image that displays on the television is the laptop's Desktop (Andromeda Galaxy). When I open Safari, it does not display on the television. That is, the Desktop remains, but nothing else.

I think that somehow I have to instruct the MacBook to send the video out to the television in the same way that I instructed the MacBook to output the sound to the television. The question is, how do I do that? I assume the answer is at System Preferences, but browsing that, I could not find the answer.

once connected, go to system preferences and display. you should now see your TV recognised. simply click on it, and Voila.

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Quote Originally Posted by j0nb0y32 View Post
    once connected, go to system preferences and display. you should now see your TV recognised. simply click on it, and Voila.
    You may want to go read the item I have posted above also. There is no "Voila" here. His video is already working. There is the need to learn about mirrored mode and extended desktop mode and how to use them.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
    Bob, i understood the problem was not seeing the video i.e just the desktop as below:

I had the same problem and i did what i said above and it solved it.

"once connected, go to system preferences and display. you should now see your TV recognized"

I did not see the television or "HDMI" or anything else unusual listed at SysPrefs>>Display, as I had at SysPrefs>>Sound, but maybe I was looking in the wrong place.

"You may want to read the item I have posted above"

The instructions at that post were perfect! I used the "Mirror" option, and it does just what I had hoped. I have printed that post re Mirror and Extended for future reference.

Thank you all for your help.

Specs:
    stefanmaine, it may have been me that has misunderstood your question. At least for now Bob has sorted it out for you.

happy ending.

j

Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
    You may want to go read the item I have posted above also. There is no "Voila" here. His video is already working. There is the need to learn about mirrored mode and extended desktop mode and how to use them.
    Thank you!!

Thread Information