New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

LaCie external harddrive not mounting

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

divergav

divergav is on a distinguished road

Hello

This is my first time here.

I have a problem that goes back a few months. A Lacie 1 TB harddrive suddenly stopped working. I may (not sure actually) have used the wrong power lead. Anyway it stopped working and after a lot of searching for information I came on the idea of buying a replacement drive (it is actually a Hitachi drive in the Lacie case) and swapping the exterior circuit boards.

After a few months one actually came up on ebay and I got it, replaced the circuit board and the drive now fires up. I can see it on disc utility, but it won't mount. I've even tried it on a PC, but it can't see it even though it knows its there.

Disc Utility won't let me do anything with it and I tried downloading the trial copy of Disc warrior, but that failed to be able to fix anything as well. I'm more than happy to pay for software that will help fix it, but need to work out what I need to do. Is it salvageable, or is it completely gone?

I can fix things usually, but this is my first time with such a problem with a external harddive.

Can anyone help?

Many thanks
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Was the circuit board a direct replacement and will the firmware work on the new one?
Not sure you checked but the power supply is what I see go bad in the Lacie's in field although it still outputs power its lower than spec calls for.
QUOTE Thanks
divergav

divergav is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply

The circuit board is a direct replacement, but I'm not sure about the firemware. I don't know how to check that.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I always go to mfg.'s website and get it. LaCie is the premier manufacturer of high quality digital storage.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook Pro beep | Macintosh Classic - VERY faint sound »