New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Macintosh Classic - VERY faint sound

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacMan886

MacMan886 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2012 Mini - 2.5GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB 840 Pro SSD, 250GB HD

Hey guys. I just welcomed a new member to my Mac family.... a Macintosh Classic. I got a heck of a deal on it.....$15!!!!!!!

Anyways, I noticed when I turned it on, I didn't hear a chime. Then when checking the volume... no sound. I put a pair of headphones on only to discover that with the sound all the way up, it is VERY faint, barely audible.

Anyone know what this could be? My dad said it could be leaking capacitors, so I opened up the computer. I DID notice a slight oil residue near some of them, but nothing serious. I know leakage on these computers is normal, but nothing serious. Could this be causing the problem?

If so, does anyone on here know of anyone that replaces caps?

-William
Late 2012 Mini - 2.5GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD, 256GB HD, Yosemite
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan886 View Post
Hey guys. I just welcomed a new member to my Mac family.... a Macintosh Classic. I got a heck of a deal on it.....$15!!!!!!!

Anyways, I noticed when I turned it on, I didn't hear a chime. Then when checking the volume... no sound. I put a pair of headphones on only to discover that with the sound all the way up, it is VERY faint, barely audible.

Anyone know what this could be? My dad said it could be leaking capacitors, so I opened up the computer. I DID notice a slight oil residue near some of them, but nothing serious. I know leakage on these computers is normal, but nothing serious. Could this be causing the problem?

If so, does anyone on here know of anyone that replaces caps?
I have the same issue/problem. A Macintosh Classic, no startup chime & no sound thru the internal speaker (but do get sound thru the headphone or external speaker jack). I also got mine for $15.

I worked on this problem for a while...but couldn't find an answer...so I figured I would put the computer on the shelf...and when I finally got an answer/solution...then I would fix it.

My best guess is there might be some sort of firmware settings that were changed (sound on/sound off). So the trick is how to access the firmware...and change the setting. It's also not a dead PRAM battery...because the one I have in mine is brand new.

Sorry I don't have a better answer (I'm in the same boat).

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
I have the same issue/problem. A Macintosh Classic, no startup chime & no sound thru the internal speaker (but do get sound thru the headphone or external speaker jack). I also got mine for $15.

I worked on this problem for a while...but couldn't find an answer...so I figured I would put the computer on the shelf...and when I finally got an answer/solution...then I would fix it.

My best guess is there might be some sort of firmware settings that were changed (sound on/sound off). So the trick is how to access the firmware...and change the setting. It's also not a dead PRAM battery...because the one I have in mine is brand new.

Sorry I don't have a better answer (I'm in the same boat).

- Nick
Oh Ya, I remember that issue. What OS is on the machine MacMan886. There is a control panel that handles the sound. Sometimes reinstalling it can fix the problem. Not so with Pigoo3's I recall
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I also have a Classic that developed that issue around the time that Nick's did. I was going to try and troubleshoot it but went to fire it up and no picture. Something in the Power Supply went and since then I have not had the time to troubleshoot it at all. I guess I should rip it apart and see what I can find. I think maybe Mac_SK is on the right track with the sound issue.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Mac SK & dravis7:

Both of you guys had some great ideas, and were a lot of help back when I was trying to figure out what was wrong with my "Mac Classic". Too bad all three of us (combined) couldn't figure it out.

It's probably something "silly easy" that back in 1990-1992 was common knowledge or a common fix...but with so many years gone by...this "easy fix" has gotten lost with time.

One of us will eventually rediscover the "fix"...and then everything will be right with the world!

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I still think I can figure it out if I can get it to power back up! It would pick right when I needed it to die on me!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
I still think I can figure it out if I can get it to power back up! It would pick right when I needed it to die on me!
I'm in no big hurry! If you ever get your Mac Classic working...I'm all ears!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

I am actually grateful to the OP for posting this and reminding me. When I was VERY ill the end of last year and beginning of this year, a lot of stuff went on hold and then later when I got better forgot all about some of it. The Classic was one such item.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Just came across these articles:

Syrinx Homepage - Mac Classic Repair
http://inbox.apana.org.au/?p=1342
http://classicmacs.org/page/2/

Interestingly they suggest "bad caps" just like "MacMan886" mentioned originally. Maybe I'll have to look into this bad caps thing a little more closely!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
MacMan886

It has System 6.0.7.

Nothing else is weird on the system, just the sound.

Is System 7 Abandonware yet? If so... anyone have the disk images? I can use my old 5500/250 to download them and copy them to floppies.

-William
Late 2012 Mini - 2.5GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD, 256GB HD, Yosemite
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Not sure on System 7. Will check around. How much RAM is in that Classic ? I have System 7 on my old Plus and with 4MB RAM it works quite well.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

4MB RAM - omg - we use to think that was the bomb and now we're recommending upgrades to 8GB

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
MacMan886

It's maxed at 4MB.

And it looks like I have no choice but to replace caps on the board.

Syrinx Homepage - Mac Classic Repair

Anyone here have a knack for it? I suck at soldering. I'd be glad to pay someone to do it.

-William
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
4MB RAM - omg - we use to think that was the bomb and now we're recommending upgrades to 8GB
I'm with ya! When I had my Mac Plus with 1 meg of ram...I thought I was 'THE MAN"!!!

Then I got my first 10meg hard drive (for $500 bucks)...and I thought..."I'm set for life".

How young & wrong I was!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

I have Ram Doulbler software some where.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« LaCie external harddrive not mounting | Build a blu-ray server »