Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Other Hardware and Peripherals (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/other-hardware-peripherals/)
-   -   Macintosh Classic - VERY faint sound (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/other-hardware-peripherals/255303-macintosh-classic-very-faint-sound.html)

MacMan886 10-27-2011 08:22 PM

Macintosh Classic - VERY faint sound

Hey guys. I just welcomed a new member to my Mac family.... a Macintosh Classic. I got a heck of a deal on it.....$15!!!!!!!

Anyways, I noticed when I turned it on, I didn't hear a chime. Then when checking the volume... no sound. I put a pair of headphones on only to discover that with the sound all the way up, it is VERY faint, barely audible.

Anyone know what this could be? My dad said it could be leaking capacitors, so I opened up the computer. I DID notice a slight oil residue near some of them, but nothing serious. I know leakage on these computers is normal, but nothing serious. Could this be causing the problem?

If so, does anyone on here know of anyone that replaces caps?

pigoo3 10-27-2011 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacMan886 (Post 1317455)
Hey guys. I just welcomed a new member to my Mac family.... a Macintosh Classic. I got a heck of a deal on it.....$15!!!!!!!

Anyways, I noticed when I turned it on, I didn't hear a chime. Then when checking the volume... no sound. I put a pair of headphones on only to discover that with the sound all the way up, it is VERY faint, barely audible.

Anyone know what this could be? My dad said it could be leaking capacitors, so I opened up the computer. I DID notice a slight oil residue near some of them, but nothing serious. I know leakage on these computers is normal, but nothing serious. Could this be causing the problem?

If so, does anyone on here know of anyone that replaces caps?

I have the same issue/problem. A Macintosh Classic, no startup chime & no sound thru the internal speaker (but do get sound thru the headphone or external speaker jack). I also got mine for $15.:)

I worked on this problem for a while...but couldn't find an answer...so I figured I would put the computer on the shelf...and when I finally got an answer/solution...then I would fix it.

My best guess is there might be some sort of firmware settings that were changed (sound on/sound off). So the trick is how to access the firmware...and change the setting. It's also not a dead PRAM battery...because the one I have in mine is brand new.

Sorry I don't have a better answer (I'm in the same boat).

- Nick

Mac SK 10-28-2011 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigoo3 (Post 1317492)
I have the same issue/problem. A Macintosh Classic, no startup chime & no sound thru the internal speaker (but do get sound thru the headphone or external speaker jack). I also got mine for $15.:)

I worked on this problem for a while...but couldn't find an answer...so I figured I would put the computer on the shelf...and when I finally got an answer/solution...then I would fix it.

My best guess is there might be some sort of firmware settings that were changed (sound on/sound off). So the trick is how to access the firmware...and change the setting. It's also not a dead PRAM battery...because the one I have in mine is brand new.

Sorry I don't have a better answer (I'm in the same boat).

- Nick

Oh Ya, I remember that issue. What OS is on the machine MacMan886. There is a control panel that handles the sound. Sometimes reinstalling it can fix the problem. Not so with Pigoo3's I recall

dtravis7 10-28-2011 02:28 AM

I also have a Classic that developed that issue around the time that Nick's did. I was going to try and troubleshoot it but went to fire it up and no picture. Something in the Power Supply went and since then I have not had the time to troubleshoot it at all. I guess I should rip it apart and see what I can find. I think maybe Mac_SK is on the right track with the sound issue.

pigoo3 10-28-2011 06:27 AM

Mac SK & dravis7:

Both of you guys had some great ideas, and were a lot of help back when I was trying to figure out what was wrong with my "Mac Classic". Too bad all three of us (combined) couldn't figure it out.

It's probably something "silly easy" that back in 1990-1992 was common knowledge or a common fix:)...but with so many years gone by...this "easy fix" has gotten lost with time.:(

One of us will eventually rediscover the "fix"...and then everything will be right with the world!;)

- Nick

dtravis7 10-28-2011 06:31 AM

I still think I can figure it out if I can get it to power back up! It would pick right when I needed it to die on me! :D

pigoo3 10-28-2011 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtravis7 (Post 1317581)
I still think I can figure it out if I can get it to power back up! It would pick right when I needed it to die on me! :D

I'm in no big hurry!:) If you ever get your Mac Classic working...I'm all ears!;)

- Nick

dtravis7 10-28-2011 06:36 AM

I am actually grateful to the OP for posting this and reminding me. When I was VERY ill the end of last year and beginning of this year, a lot of stuff went on hold and then later when I got better forgot all about some of it. The Classic was one such item.

pigoo3 10-28-2011 06:42 AM

Just came across these articles:

Syrinx Homepage - Mac Classic Repair
http://inbox.apana.org.au/?p=1342
http://classicmacs.org/page/2/

Interestingly they suggest "bad caps" just like "MacMan886" mentioned originally. Maybe I'll have to look into this bad caps thing a little more closely!:)

- Nick

MacMan886 10-28-2011 06:56 AM

It has System 6.0.7.

Nothing else is weird on the system, just the sound.

Is System 7 Abandonware yet? If so... anyone have the disk images? I can use my old 5500/250 to download them and copy them to floppies.

dtravis7 10-28-2011 06:58 AM

Not sure on System 7. Will check around. How much RAM is in that Classic ? I have System 7 on my old Plus and with 4MB RAM it works quite well.

bobtomay 10-28-2011 07:06 AM

4MB RAM - omg - we use to think that was the bomb and now we're recommending upgrades to 8GB

MacMan886 10-28-2011 07:09 AM

It's maxed at 4MB.

And it looks like I have no choice but to replace caps on the board.

Syrinx Homepage - Mac Classic Repair

Anyone here have a knack for it? I suck at soldering. I'd be glad to pay someone to do it.

pigoo3 10-28-2011 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobtomay (Post 1317602)
4MB RAM - omg - we use to think that was the bomb and now we're recommending upgrades to 8GB

I'm with ya! When I had my Mac Plus with 1 meg of ram...I thought I was 'THE MAN"!!!:)

Then I got my first 10meg hard drive (for $500 bucks)...and I thought..."I'm set for life".

How young & wrong I was!;)

- Nick

Mac SK 10-29-2011 12:02 AM

I have Ram Doulbler software some where.