New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

ADC apple studio display

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mayflyTR

mayflyTR is on a distinguished road

I recently inherited an old apple studio display from a 2003 g5. It uses an ADC cable. I found apple's ADC to DVI adapter. I have a 2010 mbp, any reason that with the addition of a mini display to DVI adapter that this wouldn't work?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayflyTR View Post
I recently inherited an old apple studio display from a 2003 g5. It uses an ADC cable. I found apple's ADC to DVI adapter. I have a 2010 mbp, any reason that with the addition of a mini display to DVI adapter that this wouldn't work?

Thanks
I would have to see the adapters (maybe some photos). The one possible problem might be "adapter gender". Where you may not have the needed male/female combination for the adapters to fit together. Plus there's always the issue of using multiple adapters...and having problems.

Keep in mind that this ADC-based Apple display is probably only worth $50 bucks (depending on the size). So don't spend too much trying to get it to work...since a more modern used DVI-based LCD display (17" for example) can be had off Craig's List for about $40-$60.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

There are two adapters. The ADC/DVI is cheap and consists of simply two plugs. You would need the much dearer DVI/ADC which plugs into mains power, the computer DVI ports and USB port. They are no longer available from the Apple Online Store, but were sold at US$99.00 so if you want to go this way you may be able to gets used one cheap.

Want some good advice? Give it a miss as the ADC Studio Display are now old, old old. They were released eleven years ago with the 400MHz G4 with a 15"screen, then a 17"screen. Later models were 21" and 23". The DVI/ADC adapter will age, cause slow booting and will not boot from system install discs eventually.

For the money look for a newer display such as a BenQ 22" LED which sells for less than $200.00. Here is what the DVI/ADC adapter looked like:-

VideoGuys Australia | Apple M8661X/B - Apple DVI-I to ADC Adapter

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
mayflyTR

mayflyTR is on a distinguished road

Oh I wasn't even going to look at buying anything, I already have a dell 19" LCD and a 23" asus, I was just wondering if it would work. And I was looking at the apple adapters, no way I would buy one now, cheapest I could find them was $110 haha. thanks though
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Magsafe 60W Power Adapter Caught Fire | canot view files on usb drive from a mac »