New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Logic Boards Compatible with newest 15" Macbook Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jussy

Jussy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP 15" 2.0Ghz

Hi,i just recently purchased a 15" macbook pro 2.0 ghz with the 500 gb HDD(newest model with thunderbolt) off of craigslist for a steal!

i got it cheap because the person spilled water on it.

When i took the mac to the apple store, they told me i needed to replace the logic board.

So my question is do i need to buy a new logic board thats exactly the same as the one its comes with? or which ones are compatible with my computer?

thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussy View Post

So my question is do i need to buy a new logic board thats exactly the same as the one its comes with? or which ones are compatible with my computer?
Get the same logic board...too many parameters trying to do a logic board swap...and I couldn't tell you the last time I heard of someone doing it successfully.

If you're capable of doing the logic board replacement yourself...go to iFixit.com to check out the cost & order it if the cost is in your budget. But believe me...it's not going to be cheap ($500+).

HTH,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Jussy

I've read some stuff on people Baking their logic boards in an oven, and that somehow magically fixes them. They didnt say why their logic boards stopped working but do you think it might work with mine?
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

The chances are high that one of the IC's blew due to a short.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I've read some stuff on people Baking their logic boards in an oven, and that somehow magically fixes them. They didnt say why their logic boards stopped working but do you think it might work with mine?
I haven't heard of this (not saying it's not true or it didn't happen). And if the logic board is currently non-functional...I guess you don't have anything to loose.

BTW...what temperature are you supposed to "bake" at?

Consider that "baking" at too high a temp. could do more damage than good as well. But as I mentioned...if the logic board is already "fried"...can't hurt to try.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
Jussy

I believe that your suposed to bake at 375 for 7 to 8 minutes!
here's the article i found explaining it. Cooking the Books (or, Baking My MacBook Pro Logic Board) : Russell.Heistuman.com

Well i got the laptop for 150, so ill try baking it, and if it doesn't work i'll just buy the new logic board. but even then i still will have paid substantially less than what it is brand new!

Thanks everyone
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

I've heard of it - but I tend to be a little skeptical of this supposed 'reflow' process. However - as Nick says - if you already have to shell out for a new one - then give it a shot. Noone here will be able to give you a definitive answer regarding whether or not it will work though.
QUOTE Thanks
Jussy

Well when i get time to do it, if this thread is still open i'll let you guys know if it works!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:

Well i got the laptop for 150, so ill try baking it, and if it doesn't work i'll just buy the new logic board. but even then i still will have paid substantially less than what it is brand new!
WOW...$150 is a pretty darn good price for a current model MacBook Pro!

The replacement logic board is going to cost you somewhere around $899:

MacBook Pro 15" Unibody (Early 2011) 2.0 GHz Logic Board (661-5850) - iFixit

And just so you know (before spending $899)...this MacBook Pro (refurbished) costs $1489 from the Apple Store:

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.0GHz quad-core Intel i7 - Apple Store (U.S.)

So if the baking idea doesn't work, and you purchased the logic board...you would be into this computer for $899 + $150 = $1049. And this is assuming that nothing else was damaged when the original owner spilled liquid on it.

$1049 is still better than $1489!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Jussy

Yeah i got it for a steal! when i picked it up i thought there would be more wrong with it but i took it to the apple store and only the logic board was messed up!

I have a few friends that work for apple, Do you think they can buy the logic board directly from apple with their employee discount, that might save me a few hundred!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:

I have a few friends that work for apple, Do you think they can buy the logic board directly from apple with their employee discount, that might save me a few hundred!
Probably a better question for your friends!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sound problem when using mini displayport to TV | An Easy Question? How to connect Creative A520 to my Imac? »