Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Other Hardware and Peripherals (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/other-hardware-peripherals/)
-   -   How would I increase my Wifi signal? (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/other-hardware-peripherals/253776-how-would-i-increase-my-wifi-signal.html)

MacDude121 10-16-2011 05:16 AM

How would I increase my Wifi signal?

Hey guys, so our wifi signal stinks, where we're currently staying we only get about 1 bar of signal. I was wondering if there is some sort of a receiver that will actually pick up the wifi signal and increase it's strength? Moving closer to the router is not an option unfortunately, and I'm not personally sure if something like this actually even exists... Help? :)

louishen 10-16-2011 05:41 AM

s it your router

MacDude121 10-16-2011 05:54 AM

No, it's the motel's router that we're currently staying at. Unfortunately it's WAY over in the office, and we're over here. We're going to be here for a while, so I'd like to get some decent internet connectivity if at all possible.

clive12 10-16-2011 08:23 AM

Wi Fi will come through the router so it will have a lot to do with this.

Bear in mind you are in a shared location where lots of people are using Wi Fi which will mean the signal may be reduced.

When I am in the office we have a 100 meg/gig leased line whereas at home I have 10 meg/gigs internet.

My connection at home is faster than my connection in the office due to the amount of people using the service.

chscag 10-16-2011 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacDude121 (Post 1311131)
No, it's the motel's router that we're currently staying at. Unfortunately it's WAY over in the office, and we're over here. We're going to be here for a while, so I'd like to get some decent internet connectivity if at all possible.

Most motels that provide WiFi also have ethernet connectivity in each room. Did you check to see if the motel you're staying at provides that?

Otherwise, there's not much you can do to increase signal strength. On occasion, I have been able to use a USB extended antenna with my Toshiba notebook to get an increased signal. However, that same antenna does not work with OS X. There are extended USB antennas that work with OS X but they're rather costly.

hughvane 10-16-2011 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacDude121 (Post 1311131)
No, it's the motel's router that we're currently staying at. Unfortunately it's WAY over in the office.

I've just been through this frustrating scenario several times. I found the only solutions were to:
1. move closer to the router, eg. in the hotel/motel lobby, even sitting out in the car which was parked close to the office,
or
2. use the wi-fi at low-load times, eg. in the middle of the night!

You may be able to persuade the motel management to issue a new log-on i-d, which could include a different router with a stronger signal.

MacDude121 10-16-2011 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chscag (Post 1311220)
Most motels that provide WiFi also have ethernet connectivity in each room. Did you check to see if the motel you're staying at provides that?

Otherwise, there's not much you can do to increase signal strength. On occasion, I have been able to use a USB extended antenna with my Toshiba notebook to get an increased signal. However, that same antenna does not work with OS X. There are extended USB antennas that work with OS X but they're rather costly.

Unfortunately there is no ethernet in here. I was thinking about an antenna, but I was hoping there was more of a receiver that would take in the wifi signal, and increase it's strength somehow, almost like a Router for a router...

Quote:

Originally Posted by hughvane (Post 1311359)
I've just been through this frustrating scenario several times. I found the only solutions were to:
1. move closer to the router, eg. in the hotel/motel lobby, even sitting out in the car which was parked close to the office,
or
2. use the wi-fi at low-load times, eg. in the middle of the night!

You may be able to persuade the motel management to issue a new log-on i-d, which could include a different router with a stronger signal.

I doubt that we would be able to persuade them to do anything like that, and we're already as close to the office as we can get. Also using it in the middle of the night is the only way that we're actually getting the 1 bar of signal, in the middle of the day we don't get any signal at all. :(

sdw303 10-22-2011 01:31 PM

parabolic reflector

Google: router parabolic reflector

I've made some before from cereal packet and foil.
Worked great - I got an extra 8dB signal strength through two walls and into the garden - made wi-fi usable again at over 100 ft away.