New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Mac drive Booting PC

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fudolove

fudolove is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I have a old broken 6 year old Macbook with a good hard drive.
I decided to put the hard drive in a Sata external enclosure and reformat it to Ntfs so It can work on my Hp tablet pc.

The hard drive is now able to read and write but I can not seem to get it to boot any Linux os. I use the Unebootin Iso burnet to make it bootable and keep getting a message saying I won't be able to boot from this hard drive.

Is it possible to do this with a nac drive on a pc? Is thier any other software
I can use the get this drive to boot on a pc.

Thank you in advance
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

There is no real physical difference in HDD's (at least then, there are some FW differences in some recent Macs, but I don't think they'd cause any real issues.) Either way, you're trying boot/install Ubuntu to ntfs? I don't think that'll work.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

G'day and welcome to the forums,

As dysfunction says,. there are no Mac/PC drives, just hard drives with different formatting. Not being a Linux user cannot help with what it will boot from.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
The hard drive is now able to read and write but I can not seem to get it to boot any Linux os. I use the Unebootin Iso burnet to make it bootable and keep getting a message saying I won't be able to boot from this hard drive.
Ubuntu can read and write to NTFS but can not be installed or boot from it. You will need to format the drive to a native Linux file system.

Windows 7 can read and write to FAT-32 but can not be installed or boot from it. Same same.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Wireless Printing No Longer Working | time capsule will not accept network password »