New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Shut off External Drive right?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Buzz-On

Buzz-On is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac OSX10.6.5

Hi! Just got Lacie Minimus 2 TB. When I unmount it (eject disk) the Minimus continues to spin. My old external drives usually would stop spinning once ejected; I would then wait until they spun down completely before flipping off their power switches.

With my new Minimus, like I said, it just keeps going, and eventually I just flip off it's power switch. It makes a slight squeak noise, which sounds abrupt to me, and then winds down of course.

Just wanted to make sure this was normal and wasn't hurting my external drive, since it's so different from how my olds ones would power down (they were iomegas).

I'm using Lion on an iMac. Also, I just backed up hundreds of Gigabytes to this new drive if that means anything. I checked out system monitor and couldn't see if spotlight was indexing or anything like that, but I've heard that spotlight indexing will sometimes result in a message saying that the disk is in use and cannot be ejected. I am NOT getting this message.

Thanks so much,

-Kelly
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Moved to the proper forum. Not really a "Switcher" topic.

To answer your question.... External drives that are powered via the mains (AC) will usually continue to spin until the power switch is turned off. I have several drives of various makes that are AC powered and they do the same exact thing. It will not corrupt data as long as the drive is not accessing the data at the time.

USB and Firewire drives spin down when ejected because power is removed at the same time.
QUOTE Thanks
Buzz-On

Buzz-On is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac OSX10.6.5

Great! Thanks so much!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« External Hard Drive Crash Advice | Xbox controller freezes OSX Lion 10.7.1 »