New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Backing up Boot Camp to Time Capsule

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bafranco

bafranco is on a distinguished road

Hi-

I will be setting up bootcamp w/windows 7 on my iMac. I would like to have the Mac side as well as the windows side to back up on the time capsule, how would I set that up?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

As far as I know its not possible now VM such as FUsion and Parallels yes.
I would want a separate drive for Windows formatted in NTFS so you could have an image as well as backup also take note you need Win 7 Pro or Ultimate to back up on a network
drive or use a third party app. I do find that strange that it was available in Vista Home and they decided to take it away in Windows 7 Home.
QUOTE Thanks
bafranco

Ok so on windows ultimate & professional has the ability to backup? Shucks I just ordered home premium, I'm going to have to make a change.

Thank you for the help!
QUOTE Thanks
bafranco

Would I have to use something like Winclone to create an image to backup? Sorry I'm pretty new with this stuff.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

There are third party wireless backup programs for Windows 7 I just can't recommend one since I have no experience with it but Pro and Ultimate have that feature built in.
I would use TC strictly for the Mac and OSX.
Then I would look for another external drive for Win7 if you want to keep it wireless a
good network drive will fill the need I like WD MyBook Live for that.
Make sure what ever you get will be Lion compatible. Advantages to a network drive everyone on your LAN can use it.
QUOTE Thanks
bafranco

thanks I'll look into that, but I have one final question:

The main point of wanting to backup from windows would be for our Quickbooks' file backups (which is on the windows partition), would this make a difference if I just want to back up these files & not the whole windows system? Could I use something like a windows file mover "synctoy"?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Have you considered running Windows from a VM within OS X? QuickBooks runs fine from a Windows VM. And unless you're into gaming there's really no reason to use Boot Camp.

Parallels, Fusion, and VirtualBox are all good choices. VirtualBox is even free from Oracle and works well. You still need a legal copy of Windows but your problem with backing up is made much easier with VM software since that and all the Windows information gets backed up automatically by Time Machine. No need for separate backups or having to reboot the machine each time.
QUOTE Thanks
bafranco

I did think about parallels, but I didn't realize time machine could back it up, I'm going to give it a try! Thank you all I think I solved my problem!!
QUOTE Thanks
JUKE179r

JUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: '07 MBP 256GB SSD/6GB RAM/SL <--DAW!!!

Supposedly the free app, CarbonCopyCloner, can backup not just OSX but also a Bootcamp partition.

Can CCC back up my BootCamp (Windows) partition?
"CCC can back up the contents of the Boot Camp partition, but it cannot make a bootable clone of the partition. If your goal is to back up your user data on the Boot Camp partition, CCC will meet your needs. If you're looking to migrate your Boot Camp partition to a new hard drive, you might consider an alternative solution such as WinClone, or one of the commercial virtualization solutions that offer a migration strategy from Boot Camp."

MBP 3,1 & 4,1 w/ Vertex 4 SSD | Logic Pro 9 | Ableton Live 8 | Traktor Pro 2 | AKAI MPK-49 | Roland MV-8000, TR-808 & TR-909 | Ensoniq ASR-10 | x0xb0x #911 | Denon DN-MC6000 | (3) Technics SL-1200MK1 | 3000+ vinyl records
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

It's interesting that he now says CCC can backup a Boot Camp partition. I've been using CCC since Leopard and have posed that question before always getting a negative reply. Must have been a recent update along the way that allows this.

And by the way, CCC is not free.... It's "payment requested" which is quite different.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« External Hard Drive problems... | 2 2TB's on time capsule »