New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Which printer to buy

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Bootleguf

Bootleguf is on a distinguished road

My wife and I are buying a new small business and we need a all in one printer that won't break the bank and won't cost a fortune in ink.

We have a mac book pro.

We have limited it down to these 3 options, unless someone has additional ideas.
Amazon.com: Canon PIXMA MP560 Wireless Inkjet All-In-One Photo Printer (3747B002): Electronics

Amazon.com: HP Envy 100 e-All-in-One D410a Printer (CN517A#B1H): Electronics

Epson - WorkForce 840 Network-Ready Wireless All-In-One Printer - WF840 - C11

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

If this is a business where you will be printing a lot everyday a laser jet cost wise in the end would be a better choice. I have a friend with the Envy and it works quite well
but you might want to look at there Office Jet for business as stated earlier it depends
on how often you will print ,laser jets and office printers are geared for heavy use home units not so much.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

+1 on the above advice. I run a business and use an HP LaserJet for all our heavy B&W work (cost effective). We have a Canon all in one for color and other things like scanning. The Canons are fairly cost effective for color work because they use 5 ink tanks. The replacements are inexpensive when compared to HP, Epson, and some of the others.
QUOTE Thanks
Bootleguf

It is a fairly low use printer honestly. We just need it to copy/scan/fax and print wirelessly from my mac book pro. So would you still suggest the Envy? Or something else?
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootleguf View Post
It is a fairly low use printer honestly. We just need it to copy/scan/fax and print wirelessly from my mac book pro. So would you still suggest the Envy? Or something else?
The Envy as far as I know does not have a fax but it will do e-print for the iPad.
I would look at their Office Jets there are several and decide what features you need.
QUOTE Thanks
Bootleguf

HP Officejet 6500A Plus e-All-in-One Printer - E710n | HP® Official Store

Ok, so it looks like this one would be a good pick. Sorry I'm asking so much I'm not very techy.
I have a macbook pro, it should work with that right?
Also how would i know how to compare ink pricing
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
HP Officejet 6500A Plus e-All-in-One Printer - E710n | HP® Official Store

Ok, so it looks like this one would be a good pick. Sorry I'm asking so much I'm not very techy.
I have a macbook pro, it should work with that right?
Also how would i know how to compare ink pricing
Honestly, unless you need color, you would be better off going with a laser all-in-one instead of inkjet . . . especially if it isn't used all the time.

Not specifically recommending this one, but worth a look.
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-imageCLA...dp_ob_title_ce

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Bootleguf

Yes we need color. We would need to print small adds and photos at good quality.
QUOTE Thanks
TomTomTuning

TomTomTuning is a jewel in the roughTomTomTuning is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone

Another thing to consider is. Do you have an iOS devices you would like to print from?

Here are some AirPrint printers.

Buy AirPrint Printers - Wireless Printers for iPad - Apple Store (U.S.)

But like everyone said, if your not looking to print color a laser printer is the way to go.
If you don't plan on doing a lot of printing then get way ever you want. Just check reviews to see what ppl think of the printers.

I have the Epson artison 810 and love it. I just wish it had AirPrint...

QUOTE Thanks
osxx

Quote:
Yes we need color. We would need to print small adds and photos at good quality.
Photos make a difference as the ink jet has the upper hand.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Printing photos and colorful ads means using a lot of ink. Just make sure you look into the cost of consumables when making the decision which printer to buy.
QUOTE Thanks
class77

class77 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4

We have been quite happy with our Epson Artisan printer. It will fax, print, scan and even print on printable CDs.

Looks like the latest on is the Artisan 837, but the model before it(835) is only $149

Artisan 837 reviews

 24" iMac, 3.06GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 10.6.8
 2011 Mac mini, 2.7Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 10.7.3
 iPad3 64GB, iPad2 32 GB
 iPhone 4, 32GB  Airport Extreme 5
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 2 2TB's on time capsule | ESATA external HDD question »