New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Can I connect a Mac Monitor to my PS3?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JamieC4

JamieC4 is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I'm hoping to connect my Mac Monitor to my PS3, the monitor I have is quite old. Link below...

Apple Cinema Display - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - it's one of the early cinema displays, looks the same as the 2nd image on the right, but I'm not sure which model is it is exactly as I have no box/manual.

I've attached an image of the lead, I'm sure it's an ADC (Apple Display Connector).

I went into an Apple store and the guy said I could get an ADC to DVI cable and connect that to a DVI to HDMI cable.

I just want to know if this sounds like it would work or if anyone has had a similar issue/done a similar thing?

I know that the monitor has no sound so am going to use headphones/speakers.

Any help appreciated, if you need to know any more info let me know!

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (91.2 KB, 32 views)
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

(would help if you took a picture of the pins and not the side!!)

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
JamieC4

Quote:
Originally Posted by robduckyworth View Post
(would help if you took a picture of the pins and not the side!!)
My bad...photo below
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image3.jpeg (30.0 KB, 24 views)
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

It COULD work, not 100% sure though. You'd need something like this: Amazon.com: Belkin F2E9142-WHT Pro Series ADC to DVI Apple Monitor Adapter: Electronics

then this: Amazon.com: HDMI to DVI Adapter w/Gold Plated Connector (Male to Female): Electronics
QUOTE Thanks
JamieC4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDude121 View Post
Yeah that's the same 2 adapters I've been looking it. One thing, with the Belkin ADC - DVI adapter would I not need the female one? Looking at the photo on the link I can't see how it could connect to the monitor lead and then to the DVI - HDMI lead?
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Moved to a more appropriate forum.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

If this is one of those monitors with the single ADC cord - e.g. no separate power cable - then you're going to need to find one of the Apple made adapters. They have a separate power supply built into them so that you can power the monitor. No regular ADC to DVI adapter is going to work.

If you can find that adapter on ebay, it's probably going to run you around $100.

The adapters you're looking at were for the Macs that had an ADC port. You need the one specifically designed to the Cinema Displays with the ADC port. It is a different part.

I "think" this is the one you need.

I'm a post PPC switcher, so maybe let one of the older hands verify that's it if you're going to seriously consider it rather than getting a new monitor. Whether it will work connected to a PS3, I have no clue.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« USB printer connected to USRobotics AP - Not working on Lion | time capsule »