New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

monitor system

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BoiseAuctioneer

BoiseAuctioneer is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro

I currently am running 1 27" iMac and 4 additional monitors. There monitors are powered off of a USB to DVI device. I am looking at buying 4 27" apple cinema monitors. I want all 5 monitors to mount flush together.

Here is what I am going for

Is there a mount system anyone is aware of that would allow for this?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Holy molly..4 27" monitors? Wow..that surely requires a lot of desk space..I have one 27" iMac and that's enough space for me..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
BoiseAuctioneer

Current Setup
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
Holy molly..4 27" monitors? Wow..that surely requires a lot of desk space..I have one 27" iMac and that's enough space for me..
Don't forget the cost as well...@$999 each!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
BoiseAuctioneer

Thats not my main concern
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseAuctioneer View Post
Thats not my main concern
Obviously!

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Here's something that may work:

NTI--Multiple Monitor mount to connect 4 LCD displays together

The critical parameter is that the horizontal width (edge to edge) of the 27" Apple Cinema Display must be no wider than 30".

Hope this helps,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
BoiseAuctioneer

Tried those. Best company for those is TYKE Supply

home

I am wanting however to mimic the way the monitors are positioned in the first picture. This might be a matter of building my own however there are articulating mounts that hold 2 monitors. If there was 1 large and strong enough for 4 monitors I want it.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
I am wanting however to mimic the way the monitors are positioned in the first picture.
The first picture shows a mounting system for 6 monitors...you mentioned wanting to mount four 27" monitors...so I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for.

What about this:

NTI- LCD Mount/Stand for 2 Displays. Connect 2 monitors together.

You would purchase two of them...and then you could have all four 27" monitors supported horizontally (instead of the 2 on top of 2 setup).

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
BoiseAuctioneer

In my first post there is a picture i attached showing a 27" Monitor in the middle and then has monitors mounted flush against them. i am hoping to mimic this with a 27" iMac and 4 LED Cinema display monitors
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
In my first post there is a picture i attached showing a 27" Monitor in the middle and then has monitors mounted flush against them. i am hoping to mimic this with a 27" iMac and 4 LED Cinema display monitors
Ahh...I think that I'm getting a better idea of what you're looking for!

If I understand correctly...in the end you will have five 27" monitors...the 27" iMac monitor...and four additional 27" Apple Cinema Displays. Is this correct?

If so...then this would be a 5 monitor setup. Of course (as you probably know)...the 27" Apple Cinema displays have slightly different dimensions than the 27" iMac:

- 27" iMac is 20.4" high x 25.6" wide (height is with stand)
- 27" Cinema Displays are 19.35" high x 25.7" wide (height is with stand)

This is certainly going to be a complex setup...wanting all 5 monitors to be "edge to edge" mounted...especially since we're talking a 27" iMac + four 27" Cinema Displays. What also complicates things is...all of the stands I've been able to find pretty much max-out (in terms of size & weight) with the 27" monitor size.

Some of the stands we've been discussing mention a max. weight limit per monitor of 20 pounds...and the 27" Apple monitor weighs 23.5 pounds (with stand).

The setup you have pictured in post #1 works...because most of the monitors in the photo are smaller (or much smaller) than the 27" monitors you want to work with.

Like you mentioned...you may have to come up with some sort of custom arrangement. Could you work with the 27" iMac + four 24" monitors (rather than four 27" monitors)? This would give you more flexibility when trying to find a mounting system.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
BoiseAuctioneer

correct thats why I am not going with their setup.

Might have to build my own but was open to options
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
correct thats why I am not going with their setup.

Might have to build my own but was open to options
Not sure if you saw this in my last post...I edited the post shortly after posting it initially:

"Could you work with the 27" iMac + four 24" monitors (rather than four 27" monitors)? This would give you more flexibility when trying to find a mounting system."

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
BoiseAuctioneer

I def could. The reason I am trying to go with 27" is mac osx maxs you out at 4 additional monitors. If I could have 6 monitors I would however have not found a way to do this
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
I def could. The reason I am trying to go with 27" is mac osx maxs you out at 4 additional monitors.
This is not exactly true. It's not really Mac OS X that limits the number of external monitors. For example...desktop Mac Pro's with 4 video cards installed in them can run up to 8 monitors...and I would bet that some folks out there may have tried running more than that!

I have a couple questions:

- What computer are you currently using...is it the 27" iMac we have been discussing?
- If it is a 27" iMac...How are you "driving" all of these external monitors? What sort of hardware are you using?

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Upgrading RAM questions | Thunderbolt display outputs »