New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Monitor Displaying in Negative! Help please!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

newby

newby is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MPB 2.2 Intel Core Duo 2gb Ram - G5 Tower PPC - iPhone 4 - 2x3GHZ 12gb Ram MacPro Tower, ATV2

New to Mac here.

I have a brand new iMac 21.5" running Snow Leopard. Everything is updated.

I also got a 2nd monitor for it on the same day.

The monitor is a 21.5" ACER (S220HQL).

I have plugged it into the Thunderbolt port on the iMac using a DVI cable into a mini display port connector.

I then click Detect Displays in system preferences> display

The monitor is picked up and they share the screen. I can move the mouse and items between the two.

However, the ACER monitor is showing everything in NEGATIVE! The monitor is fine as everything else shows up okay. But the image is reversing all the colours!

Any ideas, hints or tips? Or what I should try next?

Any help greatly appreciated

MacBookPro - 2.2 15" - Mac Mini - 2.5 2009 -MacPro Tower 2 x 3 Quad Core (Work) - iPhone 4 - iPad2, 2x Apple TV
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

It sounds like either a bad adapter or cable. Try substituting another adapter first as that's more likely to be defective than the cable.

The iMac Thunderbolt output (which you're using) is supposed to be backward compatible with the Mini Display Port connectors and adapters. There have been some reports of certain adapters not working right.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Good advice. If the iMac's monitor is also showing a negative image check out the Seeing tab of the Universal Access preferene pane.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
newby

Mac Specs: MPB 2.2 Intel Core Duo 2gb Ram - G5 Tower PPC - iPhone 4 - 2x3GHZ 12gb Ram MacPro Tower, ATV2

Thanks guys!

I will try tonight. I think it might be a duff cable... as long as it's not the monitor!!! Or thunderbolt port!

Will feedback when I find out incase anyone else has the same problem!

MacBookPro - 2.2 15" - Mac Mini - 2.5 2009 -MacPro Tower 2 x 3 Quad Core (Work) - iPhone 4 - iPad2, 2x Apple TV
QUOTE Thanks
newby

HI GUYS

Okay - a strange twist to the tale: If I do the universal access tip that was kindly given this happens: The 2nd monitor now goes the correct colours! Hurray! BUT the iMac (monitor) now goes into negative.

What have I learnt from this? The cable and adapter and monitor will display the correct colours. But the iMac isn't syncing properly. It seems one always has to be in negative!!!

Strange!

ANy more ideas?

QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Fascinating. I don't think it's a sync issue - either the cable has some bits flipped or the Thunderbolt port on either the 2nd monitor or computer has something wrong - assuming there's no setting on the display that could account for this. Is there?

It might be worth a quick phone call to Apple's help line and see if there's anything in the knowledge base on this.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Okay - a strange twist to the tale: If I do the universal access tip that was kindly given this happens: The 2nd monitor now goes the correct colours! Hurray! BUT the iMac (monitor) now goes into negative.

What have I learnt from this? The cable and adapter and monitor will display the correct colours. But the iMac isn't syncing properly. It seems one always has to be in negative!!!
It's not a matter of syncing. It still appears that either the adapter is defective or the cable. Universal Access controls your internal monitor; the adapter and cable are supposed to allow the correct signals to be sent to the external monitor. You can see from your experiment that the signals are being reversed.

If you change out the adapter and cable and still have the same problem, it's time to take the iMac to your local Apple store and have it checked out. It might be the Thunderbolt port itself that's bad.
QUOTE Thanks
newby

Hi

thanks for the advice. I'll see what happens. Such a shame :-(

In case I'm being stupid and it's something else please see here - I filmed it today, its the two monitors and the problem

iMac Second Screen Not working - any help? - YouTube

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Thanks for the video demo. Weird looking isn't it? As I said above, if it turns out that the adapter and cable are OK, the output port on the iMac may be defective.
QUOTE Thanks
newby

Could be.

I was wondering if anyone had any issues with Mini-Display running in their Thunderbolt port?

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

There have been some issues reported. As was stated, not all mini display port adapters work right from a Thunderbolt port. I guess I should try mine on the new iMac but right now I have no need for an adapter.

And by the way, Apple's adapter for the Thunderbolt port is quite expensive.
QUOTE Thanks
newby

Thanks chasq

Hmmm... well i have it booked in at an apple store this weekend. Will have to see what happens... Thanks for all help so far

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Does the ACER do HDMI? If so try that. Here is a thread where they have determined it's something with the Thunderbolt and the TB to DVI. Lots of people with issues but all different than yours.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
QUOTE Thanks
newby

Thanks dtravis. Alas the monitor does not take HDMI! :-(

I've reset the PRAM and the SMC... still nothing....

Looks like this is a no go situation at the mo! :-(

QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Let us know what the Apple store folks say - I'm curious as to what it turns out to be.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Who says PowerPCs can't boot from USB? | Problem with wireless keyboard, mac book pro and cinema screen »