Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Other Hardware and Peripherals (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/other-hardware-peripherals/)
-   -   How to update an external hard drive? (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/other-hardware-peripherals/251602-how-update-external-hard-drive.html)

Hexen 09-26-2011 02:10 AM

How to update an external hard drive?

I have most of my iTunes on my external hard drive, but I need to update it because I've gone crazy buying cds as of late. My question is if there is a way that I can only add the new items to the external without having to replace every single item. I've clicked on the "Keep Newer" option but it still copies all of the file's contents. Is there a way that I can just update it?

MacDude121 09-26-2011 06:37 PM

I'd highly recommend using Time Machine for all of your Backups: Mac 101: Time Machine

It will do what you want, and much more. :)

Buzzard2010 09-26-2011 07:03 PM

+1 for Time Machine, it's simple to use, and it does do just what you want, and as MacDude says "much more"

- Simon

Hexen 09-26-2011 08:03 PM

Ok, thanks for the replies. I'll look into Time Machine and when I get the money for it I'll get one. Is there a way to do it on the external that I already have though? I'm using a SeaGate.

MacDude121 09-26-2011 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hexen (Post 1301679)
Ok, thanks for the replies. I'll look into Time Machine and when I get the money for it I'll get one. Is there a way to do it on the external that I already have though? I'm using a SeaGate.

There's no reason to buy Time Machine, it comes standard on any mac running OS X 10.5 or later. You can use any external hard drive with it, including your SeaGate.

Hexen 09-26-2011 10:22 PM

Oops...silly me. I got confused with Time Machine and Time Capsule. I'm going to back up all of my stuff with Time Machine right now. Thanks again

MacDude121 09-26-2011 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hexen (Post 1301740)
Oops...silly me. I got confused with Time Machine and Time Capsule. I'm going to back up all of my stuff with Time Machine right now. Thanks again

No problem, happy to help. :)

Hexen 09-27-2011 12:24 AM

I backed up my computer as it was using Time Machine...it took a while but I got it. To test to see if it would do what I want it to do I went ahead and installed both VirtualBox and Ubuntu. Time Machine backed it up just like I wanted it to. Thanks for everything!

MYmacROX 09-27-2011 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hexen (Post 1301775)
I backed up my computer as it was using Time Machine...it took a while but I got it. To test to see if it would do what I want it to do I went ahead and installed both VirtualBox and Ubuntu. Time Machine backed it up just like I wanted it to. Thanks for everything!

The first backup with T.M. always takes the longest. If you do regular (daily or weekly) backups, it won't take very long to do each one. The more frequently you backup, the shorter the backup takes. You can even set it to do hourly backups if you keep it plugged in.
Glad you found a backup solution. :)

Hexen 09-27-2011 06:17 PM

I think once a week will be good. I don't put that many things on my computer within a week. But if I ever put a lot of things on it in a day or so I'll back it up. The first back up took about an hour and half...I don't think that's too bad for the convenience of it.