Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Specs:
    March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
    LaCie Thunderbolt Drives are out
    I've been waiting on these all year and now that they're out - I'm a little dismayed at the price.

LaCie 250GB Little Big Disk Thunderbolt Series SSD - Apple Store (U.S.)

LaCie 500GB Little Big Disk Thunderbolt Series SSD - Apple Store (U.S.)

Am I the only one suffering heartburn at the thought of paying over $900 for a 250GB drive? Evidently they're only available via the Apple website which I also find interesting.

Little in your hand, Big in performance
    After much anticipation, the LaCie Little Big Disk Thunderbolt* Series is now available at Apple® retail stores and apple.com. With one simple connection to your Mac®, this next generation Little Big Disk will amaze you. Never before have you experienced such impressive performance from such a small package.

A pioneer in new technology for over 20 years, LaCie has worked with Apple® and Intel® to give you the first portable Thunderbolt technology storage solution. While the Little Big Disk Thunderbolt Series fits perfectly into any studio environment, its compact size allows you to take it in the field for high-end perfomance on the go.

No matter if you are on a set editing multiple layers of video and audio, downloading HD dailies, or copying hundreds of RAW photos, video delays and lag times will become things of the past. One Little Big Disk Thunderbolt Series easily tackles your most complex demands with a jaw-dropping transfer rates.

Specs:
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    All I can say is ouch!!
    Especially since I could put together the following (at least I think I could) for around $450. And have a FireWire 240GB SSD (no RAID and a little slower than Thunderbolt, but at 1/2 the price).
    Search Results for MX240Select at MacSales.com
    Amazon.com: Macally G-S350SUA Hi-Speed eSATA/FireWire/USB2.0 Storage Enclosure for 3.5-Inch SATA HDD: Electronics
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    I think those prices are just a "little" out of my affordability range.

Am I the only one suffering heartburn at the thought of paying over $900 for a 250GB drive? Evidently they're only available via the Apple website which I also find interesting.
    I also find that interesting... Anyway, it looks like buying an SSD, even a large one, is going to be more economical.

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    This is completely irrelevant but does that drive not look like a blue version of HAL 9000 from the front?
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    Way... way too many specs to list.
    Wait a few months.. after all, even the 16GB OWC RAM kits for the MBP have dropped almost 50% in a few short months.
    mike
    This machine kills fascists
    Got # ? phear the command line!

Specs:
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
    This is completely irrelevant but does that drive not look like a blue version of HAL 9000 from the front?
    I'm afraid I can't answer that Dave . . . I mean Van.
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

Specs:
    Uh-oh, looks like Razor could be trouble in the near future. We better keep an eye on him.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    Uh-oh, looks like Razor could be trouble in the near future. We better keep an eye on him.
    You mean I'm not trouble now?????

Specs:
    -->
    They were supposed to have spinning drives too in the 1 and 2TB range. I have read that the 1TB is going to be around $400 and that is a little pricey too, but much easier to swallow that a $900 256gb model. I really want to see one of these drives in action.
    13" rMBP 256gb | Mac Mini | 24" ACD | 64GB Verizon iPhone 6s Plus | 64GB iPad Air 2 LTE | 16GB iPad mini 2 | Gen 7 Nano | Gen 4 iPod Touch | TV1 | TV3 | TV4 | Watch Sport 42mm Space Gray

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
    You mean I'm not trouble now?????
    You're not working hard enough at it.
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
    You're not working hard enough at it.

Some folks are just naturals.

I hope Dysfunction is right - I just can't see the point - I'd rather just install an internal drive. I'm not sure what's going on with Apple, OEMs and Thunderbolt, but I find it odd that so far you can only get T-bolt HW via Apple's store. Makes me think there's an unnecessary layer or two of markup. At any rate - these prices have to come down - a LOT before I'll buy one. I just can't see spending that much on any drive. This is good news for OWC though - they'll be getting some more of my money soon.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianLachoreVPI View Post
    Some folks are just naturals.
    Anyone in particular?

Makes me think there's an unnecessary layer or two of markup.
    You bet there is. Give it time though - Apple can't control the market forever.

At any rate - these prices have to come down - a LOT before I'll buy one.
    I'm sure they will. Like Dysfunction noted, all technology gets considerably cheaper after the "shine" wears off.
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    While def out of my price range, I'd say it's probably in line. You still can't get a 240 GB SSD for less than $400 and most of them are still $500+. Even at the low end of $400, that would mean they're only charging $99 for the RAID0 enclosure. Cheapest 500 GB at newegg is $750, so they're giving away that enclosure.

Still, thanks, but no thanks. I believe I'll stick with my combo eSATA/FW800 RAID box and some good 7200 drives.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
    While def out of my price range, I'd say it's probably in line. You still can't get a 240 GB SSD for less than $400 and most of them are still $500+. Even at the low end of $400, that would mean they're only charging $99 for the RAID0 enclosure.

Still, thanks, but no thanks. I believe I'll stick with my combo eSATA/FW800 RAID box and some good 7200 drives.

Errrr - I'm thinking it's time for new bi-focals Tom? The 250GB drive is $899 before tax...

Specs:
    Errrr - I'm thinking it's time for new bi-focals Tom? The 250GB drive is $899 before tax...
    Better be careful . . . A Dude just got banned for commenting on Bob's coffee drinking habits.

You're on very thin ice here.

Thread Information