Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Other Hardware and Peripherals (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/other-hardware-peripherals/)
-   -   ATA or SDD (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/other-hardware-peripherals/250823-ata-sdd.html)

j0nb0y32 09-17-2011 05:56 AM

ATA or SDD

why is it that the capacity of the Solid State Drive (SDD) very low compared to the ATA hard drive?

I am assuming that the SDD is quicker, given the Apple website description,

"...solid-state drive (SSD), which has no moving parts and delivers increased drive performance for many operations".

however would one really notice the difference in loading applications / documents etc..i thought it is was the memory and speed of the processor that did the 'speed' thing

if this is true, what is the benefit of the SDD?

Thanks in advance

RavingMac 09-17-2011 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j0nb0y32 (Post 1297730)
why is it that the capacity of the Solid State Drive (SDD) very low compared to the ATA hard drive?

I am assuming that the SDD is quicker, given the Apple website description,

"...solid-state drive (SSD), which has no moving parts and delivers increased drive performance for many operations".

however would one really notice the difference in loading applications / documents etc..i thought it is was the memory and speed of the processor that did the 'speed' thing

if this is true, what is the benefit of the SDD?

Thanks in advance

The capacity is limited because SSDs are still relatively new and expensive.

The speed advantage is due to the fundamental design differences. In any process (and data storage and transfer is a process) the slowest step is the bottle-neck. In this case for ATA and SATA drives it is the electro-mechanical interface between the spinning disk platters and the heads.
In an SSD (solid state drive) this interface is missing and data transfer speeds are limited only by the electronic interface.

All of the above is a simplification, but I hope it helps.

j0nb0y32 09-17-2011 11:09 AM

Thanks

million dolla question;

Given that, as you say it is relatively new on the market, will the increased speed be beneficial for loading and processing applications? compared to the increased cost and low capacity (i say this as pre-installed apps are put on the SDD drive and not the ATA)

currently i am thinking it is not, as i have not experienced the difference

Thanks in advance

RavingMac 09-17-2011 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j0nb0y32 (Post 1297815)
Thanks

million dolla question;

Given that, as you say it is relatively new on the market, will the increased speed be beneficial for loading and processing applications? compared to the increased cost and low capacity (i say this as pre-installed apps are put on the SDD drive and not the ATA)

currently i am thinking it is not, as i have not experienced the difference

Thanks in advance

Only you can answer that question. It comes down to a cost/benefit analysis, and you are the only one who has the parameters to plug into that equation.

My gut feeling is no.
If you were rich or depended upon the output of this machine for your living (and finding the speed to be hampering you) then yes.

j0nb0y32 09-17-2011 11:34 AM

Razormac - Agreed and thanks

RavingMac 09-17-2011 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j0nb0y32 (Post 1297828)
Razormac - Agreed and thanks

You are very welcome.