New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Can I format my hard drive to use in mac without deleting the files

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

akurtula

akurtula is on a distinguished road

I have a 1TB external hard drive that I used with my windows laptop, now I noticed that I cant write to it through my macbook

I there a way to format my hard drive without deleting the files already in it. and after formatting it would I be able to use the drive in windows

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

It must be formatted as NTFS

If you want it to have read write access in both windows and mac then either reformat it as FAT32 or install MacFuse to allow write access in OSX

macfuse - The Easiest and Fastest Way to Create File Systems for Mac OS X - Google Project Hosting

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

When you format a drive you erase it.
You probably have the drive formatted to NTFS which can only be read by a Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Formatting destroys data, so no. If you wish to use that 1 TB drive both for Windows and Mac OS X, the best solution may be to install a driver on your Mac that will enable read and write access to the 1 TB drive.

Here's one that I and other folks recommend: Paragon NTFS $19.95

There is also a free alternative: NTFS - 3G. Note, however, that this particular driver has been known to cause data corruption and is somewhat unstable. Use at your own risk.
QUOTE Thanks
akurtula

louishen I installed the software you recommended but I have no idea how to use it

I will try the Paragon ntfs - as I new mac user I hope is not hard to use

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

The software simply allows you to write to an NTFS drive, so you dont see anything. I would choose either Paragon ntfs or MacFuse but not run both

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
akurtula

chscag - Thanks a lot paragon works perfectly
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Just installed new RAM into my MacBook, | itunes and rented movie playback »