New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Just upgraded Mac now my brother hl2170w printer won't work?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

supermac96

supermac96 is on a distinguished road

I updated my Mac system software (I'm on 10.6.8) and my brother printer software, restarted the computer and now my brother printer HL2170w won't work. It says we need a software update but there is nothing else to updat to! As I just this problem started after we updated the Mac system software and the printer software! Any ideas on how to fix this?
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Did you do a software update (the Mac) after you connected the printer ?
QUOTE Thanks
supermac96

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxx View Post
Did you do a software update (the Mac) after you connected the printer ?
The brother software and Mac software were updated at the some time because in software updates I just hit update all so it updated like 10 things including the printer software at once and the printer was plugged in while everything was updating.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

I've read of printer problems with either an upgrade or an update to the MacOS, requiring updated drivers from the printer's manufacturer. It may take some time, as in days, possibly weeks, but you can do your bit by notifying Brother.

[I had to do this with my two Canon printers, but the Brother HL2040 didn't require anything fortunately. I suggest you do as I do and avoid the printer updates provided by Apple. Stick with what the printer manufacturer provides.]

Just to clarify - are you NOW operating OS 10.6.8 (SLPd) or have you moved to Lion?

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
supermac96

I'm on 10.6.8 but I reinstalled the print software from the original disk and now it works! Anyone know how to get this printer to work with AirPrint?
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

This Make any printer AirPrint compatible for MacOS; and this Make AirPrint work with non-AirPrint-compatible printers | iPhone Atlas - CNET Reviews might work for you if you have a WinOS partition.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Pro and Microtek Scanner Question | Hard drive capacity incorrect »