Specs:
    MacMini 2.4, 8 Gb, OS 10.11 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.6.8
    ATA external drives to Intel Mini
    Related to my recent topic about hard drive capacity, I now have three external ATA drives to use for backup and storage. They can be successfully connected to a main computer via an ATA-USB2 adaptor.

Question: is the fact that the ATA drives are slaves, and are connected via USB, is there any reason what they would not work if plugged into my Mac Mini?

Put another way, is there a potential incompatibility between the older ATA drive technology and a modern Mac, given that the connection is via USB? I'd rather find out the answer before connecting any of the drives via the adaptor to my Mini (or my Macbook).

Thanks ..... Hugh
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

Specs:
    Answering my own post, and possibly being of help to someone else with this same question in mind, connecting an ATA drive via USB to an Intel Mac (with SATA internal drive) poses no problems whatsoever.
    Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 3.3GHz, 512GB Flash, 16GB memory, OS X.11.4.
    No mate and it is not the problem you thought. Power is power and away you go. No need for SATA or any changes when in an IDE external box.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Specs:
    These are bare ATA drives, two of them in one carrier, a sort-of mini-RAID system, and you have just given me a *brilliant* idea!

I retained the multi-Molex connectors, and the dual ATA ribbon strip, and can have both (never mind the third Seagate drive) running off the one power adaptor. Question is: will both drives mount to a desktop via the ATA part of the adaptor? Woohoo, I LOVE this old No 8 wire technology!

[But with which computer shall I try it, that is the question .]

Specs:
    2008 Unibody MacBook / 2009 White MacBook / iMac C2D 2.16 GHz 20" / iMac G5 1.6 GHz 17"
    Have a feeling that external drives have to be set to master to be seen?

Don't you just love recycling old hardware; an 80 gb is now regarded as a small drive, yet I can back up the whole of my wife's MacBook onto a 40 with CCC, and her Time Machine runs onto a 60gb.
    Mine takes a little more space though

Cheers

Hugh
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
    Warning - this user has only a little knowledge

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by hugtheslug View Post
    Don't you just love recycling old hardware
    I most certainly do!

In helping a friend move from the Dark Side to a Mac, I inherited an old(er) HP Pavilion machine, in pristine condition (but no longer of resale value, sadly). I stripped the HD out of it, still tucked away in its drive carrier, erased it completely, and then added the Seagate 80 to the carrier, thus making a very basic RAID system. Retaining the ribbon cables and molex connectors has enabled two drives to operate simultaneously, same with the dual 80/40 drive combo in the carrier out of my old G3 b/w tower.

Uses? Doesn't matter, but I'll think of something

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    It's too bad you're not in Texas. I just several days ago unloaded a boat load of hardware including a working Dell Dimension tower from 2004. Hard drives, memory modules, video cards, power supplies, and several monitors all went also.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by hughvane View Post
    thus making a very basic RAID system. Retaining the ribbon cables and molex connectors has enabled two drives to operate simultaneously, same with the dual 160/40 drive combo in the carrier out of my old G3 b/w tower.
    And here they be! [the gap in the carrier to the left is where the floppy disk out of the HP Pavilion drive was.]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information