New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Mini Display Port to VGA Mac Mini

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nathan2o11

nathan2o11 is on a distinguished road

Hi, I am trying to get my VGA monitor to display on my mac mini using the mini port display to VGA converter cable. On booting the machine the display stays in standby but after a few minutes if I disconnect the display from the back of the mac mini and reconnect it the display will sometimes come on and show me the login screen of the mac. I have this cable plugged into the Thunderbolt connection on the mac as I was told that this works same as mini display port.

I was thinking there wasnt any drivers loaded (or the mac equivalent) to display anything on screen until the operating system has loaded. The display only sometimes works if i disconnect and reconnect it once the display once the mac mini has been switched on for several minutes.

Any info you can offer would be great.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

It should work if the monitor is OK. No drivers are needed. The Thunderbolt port is backwards compatible with the mini display port. It's possible the adapter or cable may be loose or intermittent. Does your monitor also have a DVI input that you can try? You would of course need the proper adapter and cable for DVI.
QUOTE Thanks
nathan2o11

nathan2o11 is on a distinguished road

No, it isnt loose confirmed it was tightly connected with the screws and connected firmly at the back of the mac mini. On the odd occasion that the monitor works, if I reboot the machine the monitor then doesnt come on at startup. So I am pretty sure it isnt a connection.

None of our monitors have DVI inputs sadly. I just wondered in case there was any sort of key combination needed to bring it up on screen immediately or anything like that?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Have you tried it on another monitor? and the results?

Tried a different adapter/cable?

Disconnect and reconnect the adapter/cable - yep, this works quite often even when everything is screwed in properly.

Try a SMC reset.

Exchange the adapter/cable for another.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Printer= Brother MFC 7340 | Why is there no undelete option? »