New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Macbook through TV

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

naysilva

naysilva is on a distinguished road

Hi there,

I'm looking for a cable so that I can output both the sound and video through my HD TV.

So far the ones I have found only do video and not sound output. Is there a cable that does both?

If you could link me to the sort of thing I need whether it is one or two accessories that I need that would be much appreciated!

Many thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
Aphus

Aphus is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM 15" MBP (Late 2008)

What type of Macbook is it (air/pro/regular), and what year is it from? The answer will vary based on the model you have.

This thread might be useful as well:
Connecting your Mac to your TV

15" MacBook Pro + 16GB iPhone 4 + 16GB iPad 2 3G
QUOTE Thanks
naysilva

I've got:

Apple MacBook "Core 2 Duo" 2.16 13" (White) Specs

The MacBook "Mid-2007 Core 2 Duo" series shares the same easy to upgrade case design as previous MacBook systems, and connectivity likewise includes AirPort Extreme (although the "Mid-2007" models support 802.11n -- as well as 802.11g -- without a firmware update), Bluetooth 2.0+EDR, Gigabit Ethernet, a FireWire "400" port, two USB 2.0 ports, optical digital audio in/out, and video out capabilities (mini-DVI) that supports an external display.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

And what TV do you have - make and model #?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
naysilva

Play.com - Buy Samsung S86 32 inch LE32S86BD HD Ready Freeview Widescreen LCD TV online at Play.com and read reviews. Free delivery to UK and Europe!

Samsung S86 32 inch LE32S86BD HD Ready Freeview Widescreen LCD TV
QUOTE Thanks
naysilva

Any idea which cable/cables I need?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

You need a mini-DVI to HDMI adapter and a high speed HDMI cable.

Those Amazon Basic cables are a good price and a decent cable.

For audio you need a 3.5 mm stereo mini-plug to RCA cable.

You must use HDMI 2 on the TV.

You can find that picture in your owner's manual on page 5.
It can be downloaded from here.

QUOTE Thanks
naysilva

bobtomay, I just received my mini-DVI to HDMI adapter and 3.5 mm stereo mini-plug to RCA cable and I have set it up using the connections you provided.

The problem that I have now is that for some reason the TV is only displaying the screen saver on my macbook. I didn't buy a high speed HDMI cable as I thought the 30 quid belkin HDMI would be okay. Is it doing this because the HDMI cable I have isn't high speed?

Thanks for your help
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Head to the sticky:

Connecting your Mac to your TV

Then go to Post # 2 - Item # 3 to learn about mirrored mode and extended desktop mode.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Options for Mounting iMac 27" | QNAP ... Good idea or not ? »