New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

External hard drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tngrocks

tngrocks is on a distinguished road

Hi, I have a 500gig WD external hard drive. I apologise if this is the wrong forum to ask this.

I've been using it for a little while on my mac and pc. It is partitioned to work on both computers. When I open it on my pc only the 'pc' partition shows. When I open the drive on my mac the 'pc' and 'mac' partitions show and I can access everything.

Now however I can only access the drive via a pc. When I plug it into my mac the hard drive buzzes, the wd passport opens but not the actual drive and I cannot access either the 'pc' or 'mac' partitions. They do not appear on the desktop or in the disk utility.

Help! Please.
QUOTE Thanks
wheelguy12

wheelguy12 is on a distinguished road

How is the drive formatted? 1 partition, or more? what file structure - FAT, NTFS, MacOS Extended, other?

2011 MacBook Pro 13" i5, 8/300 gig 27" + 23" disp
QUOTE Thanks
tngrocks

half the drive is FAT and i think the other is NTFS
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Moved to correct forum. Not a Switcher topic.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy12 View Post
How is the drive formatted? 1 partition, or more? what file structure - FAT, NTFS, MacOS Extended, other?
Did you not read his post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngrocks
half the drive is FAT and i think the other is NTFS
If that's the case then the PC should have seen both partitions as did the Mac. On the MAc open disc utility (APPLICATIONS > UTILITIES) and see if the partitions show up there. If so you may be able to click the MOUNT button at the top of the window and have them mount.

QUOTE Thanks
tngrocks

It isn't showing up in disk utility.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Since this is a WD drive, I know they come with some security software for you to activate. You know, where you have to enter a password to access the drive. Did you happen to activate it on the Windows side? I tried that with mine and the Macs didn't like it. Disabled it and it worked fine again.

QUOTE Thanks
plaiter

plaiter is on a distinguished road

Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this as I am a newbie.

I have an external Western Digital drive which I used on my PC to store music, photos etc. I am currently converting to an iMac. Do I need to do anything to convert the drive for Mac use? Or would it be able to read it without conversion. I would need to preserve the existing files. Any help would be much appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Mac's can read both of those partitions but only read/write to the FAT 32 partition if you want it to write to NTFS you will need this. macfuse - The Easiest and Fastest Way to Create File Systems for Mac OS X - Google Project Hosting
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Airport Extreme Vs. the Dlinks | H P Photosmart C310 printer and 10.7? »