New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Can't scan with wireless printer!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TonyBen

TonyBen is on a distinguished road

I tried to use the photo capture (can't remember what it's really called, I'm at work on a PC), and it keeps saying "no camera or scanner connected". I just got a new Canon wireless scanner/printer/copier. I had to scan pictures to a memory card and transfer them that way.

How can I get my Mac to see the printer when scanning?

Printer is a Canon Pixma MG5220...

Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : PIXMA MG5220

TIA,
Tony.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I can't seem to get the manual downloaded at the moment. Here is what I can tell you from my experience with two other Canon printers.

1. Even though Canon's manuals leave the impression that you can set up everything wirelessly. I usually find it necessary to directly connect to the printer first and install drivers via USB. Once that is done you van set up wireless operation.

2. Before starting wireless setup I have sometimes found it easier if I let the wireless network broadcast its name (SSID). Even though you can enter it manually during setup that sometimes does not work reliably.

3. After the connections are confirmed wirelessly the drivers usually add easily in the Printers and Fax preference pane.

4. After setup is complete I usually leave the USB drivers in place in case I need to print and the network is misbehaving. I can connect a cable and print directly.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

My canon printer/scanner (MP530) specifically said that it can't scan wireless and never has. I suspect this is just a design issue. If you want to scan, you have to hook it up to the machine.

Reading the link provided above, I assume that the printer is on your wireless network and prints properly as such?

QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

The one tried and true method to get everything done wireless is a networking printer attached via ethernet to your wireless router.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxx View Post
The one tried and true method to get everything done wireless is a networking printer attached via ethernet to your wireless router.
Reading the link he provided it looks like the printer has built in Wi-Fi so that should be how it's set up. Still waiting for a response to see if he has it configured as such.

QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I noticed no mention of ethernet on their website so wireless or USB but I did notice
both drivers and software look to be updated less than a month ago.
QUOTE Thanks
TonyBen

I've been busy since I posted this thread. I'll try the suggestions and keep you updated.

Thanks,
Tony.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I have found Canon's instructions for setting up wireless (whether it be printing or scanning) to be confusing and cumbersome. Generally though if you follow the hints that Slydude gave you in his reply, you can get it working.

Also - the Canon utilities programs get buried deep within their folder and are difficult to find. For some reason Canon does not place them in their Applications folder. However, you can create alias links to the utilities which aid in getting the wireless printing and scanning setup.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Thanks chscag. Those suggestions were learned the hard way after trying to connect a PIXMA MP980.

QUOTE Thanks
TonyBen

I assumed that since the Mac had the software to use the printer automatically, that I'd just be able to connect and go. I installed the provided drivers and connected via a USB and it's all working now.

Thanks,
Tony.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Thanks for posting back and letting us know the solution. It might help someone in the future. Glad you got everything sorted out.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Best headset for Skype on MBP | macbook pro to samsung led via LAN »