New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

SSD, TRIM and Lion

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fuzzy23

fuzzy23 is on a distinguished road

There seems to be a lot of chatter on the web about Lion and its TRIM support for SSDs. Really don't know much about TRIM and the likes. But currently planning to upgrade my Mac Mini 2,1 from its original 160GB 5400RPM HDD (currently running Snow Leopard) to a 64GB Kingston V100 SSD (which i plan to upgrade to Lion).

a) Is it best to first upgrade the current internal HDD to Lion, clone that onto the SSD externally and then shove the SSD in?
b) What's the REAL deal with TRIM?
c) Does Lion support TRIM for third party SSDs by default or does it require a software TWEAK? (as described in TRIM Enabler)
d) Does TRIM support or the lack thereof REALLY matter to a basic user looking to make the switch from HDD to SSD merely for speeding up the machine?

*I realise 64GB is fairly low but I believe it'll be enough for me with my usage (keeping ALL media on external drives) and still having more than 20% free on the SSD.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Magic mouse or track pad w/lion | Samsung Galaxy s2 Mobile phone »